abonnement Unibet Coolblue
  Moderator dinsdag 11 december 2007 @ 15:46:29 #201
8781 crew  Frutsel
pi_55193630
Kona Low over Hawaii

A persistent low pressure system, known as a “Kona Low,” brought several days of high winds, heavy rains and even blizzard conditions to parts of the Hawaiian Islands during the first week of December 2007. The storm resulted in flooding, downed power lines, and road closures, said news reports. On Oahu, winds gusted to 110 kilometers per hour (70 miles per hour). On Maui, the road to the summit of Haleakala was closed due to debris brought by heavy rains. Locally, up to 180 millimeters (7 inches) of rain were reported. On the Big Island of Hawaii, in addition to areas of heavy rain of up to 280 mm (11 inches), blizzard warnings were issued for the summits of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

This image, made from the near-real time Multi-satellite Precipitation Analysis (MPA) at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, shows rainfall totals over the Hawaii Islands between December 1 and December 7, 2007. The highest rainfall totals reported by the satellite analysis are over the northern part of the island of Hawaii and are on the order of 100 to 120 millimeters (about 4 to 5 inches, shown in red). The locally higher amounts recorded at weather stations on the ground fall below the resolution of the satellite data. A broad area of rain is also evident downstream (northeast) of the islands.

The storm that produced this rainfall, a Kona Low, was a subtropical cyclone that formed northwest of Hawaii outside the band of warm tropical waters that fuel tropical cyclones. Like its cousin, the tropical cyclone (or hurricane), subtropical cyclones bring strong winds and heavy rains, but the storm system circles a cold center, not a warm center as in a hurricane. Kona Lows originate from a deep kink in the jet stream (a band of strong winds high in the atmosphere that steer weather systems) that sinks south and pinches off, leaving behind a low-pressure circulation that is cut off from the main core of the jet. These cut-off lows can linger for several days.

The Kona Low gets its name from the change in wind direction that occurs when such a storm moves over the islands. Hawaii is dominated by the trade winds that blow in from the northeast. However, the counter-clockwise flow around a Kona low located west of Hawaii results in southwesterly winds over the islands, which is typically the leeward or “kona” side. Kona storms are common between October and April. The storms draw abundant moisture up from the warm tropical waters that surround Hawaii, which can then interact with the topography of the islands to produce heavy rains, as shown here.

=========
Meer weten over de 'Kona Low' --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_low
  Moderator dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 11:51:55 #202
8781 crew  Frutsel
pi_55869300
Rare January Twisters strike Midwest

MARSHFIELD, Mo. — A rare January outbreak of tornadoes raked the Midwest on Monday, flattening houses in several states and killing at least two people in Missouri.

An elderly woman was killed near Strafford in Greene County, officials said, and a 53-year-old woman's body was found by rescuers in a wooded area north of Marshfield near her trailer, which was destroyed.

At least six people were taken to hospitals by ambulance, said Michael Taylor, fire chief in Marshfield in the southwestern part of the state.
Two other people were in critical condition, said Ed Gray, a spokesman for Missouri's emergency management agency.

Storms continued to pummel the nation's midsection as darkness fell on a day when record temperatures were reported across much of the country. Tornadoes were also reported or suspected in Arkansas and Oklahoma and along the Illinois-Wisconsin line.

In Illinois, about 500 people fled their homes after a suspected tornado knocked over rail cars carrying hazardous materials.

About six homes were destroyed in the small town of Poplar Grove, Ill., where authorities rescued motorists trapped by downed, live electrical lines and crews searched damaged structures to make sure no one was trapped. Three people suffered minor injuries, Boone County Sheriff's Lt. Perry Gay said.

About 15 miles away in Harvard, Ill., a suspected tornado derailed one locomotive and 12 freight cars. A tank car containing shock fluid leaked for hours before it was contained, and another derailed car contained ethylene oxide, a flammable material widely used to sterilize medical supplies, but was not leaking, Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis said.

Authorities ordered about 500 residents to evacuate the nearby unincorporated town of Lawrence, said Capt. David Shepherd with the McHenry County Sheriff's Office. No injuries were reported, he said.

To the northeast, a tornado ripped through Wisconsin's Kenosha County. Eleven houses in Wheatland were destroyed, five others had heavy damage and four had moderate damage, said Matthew Gronke, fire chief for the town of Randall. About 13 people were injured, none seriously, authorities said.

Deputies responding to a rollover accident saw a house collapse as the storm blew through, Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth said.

"It got flattened as they were there," he said, and windblown debris ripped the emergency light bar off their squad car.

The deputies completed their rescue of the motorist pinned in the car and then ran to the house.

"They pulled the wreckage from the basement door and got some people out," he said.

The tornado warning disrupted legal proceedings in Walworth County, as at least 300 people were moved to a courthouse basement as a precaution.

Kenosha County Circuit Judge Bruce E. Schroeder, who was presiding over opening testimony in a high-profile murder trial that was moved in Walworth County, said he couldn't believe it when the deputy said the courtroom had to be evacuated because of a tornado warning.

"It's a first," he said while waiting in the basement. "I've actually had ... warnings occur during jury trials before and frankly I just ignored them. But not in January."

Three juries were kept away from the rest of the courthouse employees, deputies, reporters and others in the basement during the hour-long evacuation.

Meteorologists said the unusual weather was the result of warm, moist air moving from the South that had temperatures hovering near 70 degrees on Sunday and Monday.

"It's very unseasonable for this time of year," said meteorologist Benjamin Sipprell of the National Weather Service's St. Louis office. "The atmosphere is just right."

The high in Buffalo, N.Y., of 59 beat the old record for the date by 5 degrees. The high was 66 in Toledo, Ohio, a record that led some University of Toledo students to stroll to class in T-shirts, flip-flops and shorts. In New Jersey, the Atlantic City International Airport recorded a high of 68 degrees, breaking a 10-year-old record by 10 degrees.

========
Actuele Doppler Radar http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/index_lite.php

Actuele Weeralarm/-situatie http://www.nws.noaa.gov/largemap.php
  dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 14:59:52 #203
138800 compier
This is Spartaaaaaaaa
pi_55874078
gister hier tornado warning, tot 3 uur vanmiddag ofzo flash flood warnings ofzo, ik ga zo maar even de driveway fixen, die is half weggespoeld
Mijn usericon is mede mogelijk gemaakt door wonderer.
Live from Sparta MO
JOE-ES-EE!!
  dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 15:21:00 #204
10763 popolon
Fetchez la vache!
pi_55874600
Dramaqueen.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Patience is not one of my virtues, neither is memory. Or patience for that matter.
  dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 16:52:04 #205
138800 compier
This is Spartaaaaaaaa
pi_55876891
ik heb speciaal voor jou een foto gemaakt, nadat ik al 6 kruiwagens vol teringzooi van de weg heb geschraapt .
Pic:

Al het donkere "gravel" heb ik van de weg moeten scrapen (wat een kutwerk trouwens), en die geulen waren 1 foot diep ... dus ik vind dat dat redelijk onder wegspelen valt
Live from Sparta MO
JOE-ES-EE!!
  dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 17:30:45 #206
10763 popolon
Fetchez la vache!
pi_55877791
Oh ja gravel, daar begin ik ook niet aan. Dat spoelt inderdaad met die hoosbuien vrij makkelijk weg.

Je zit natuurlijk wel 'redelijk' dichtbij Kansas, toch wel een beetje Tornado Alley daar in de buurt.

Patience is not one of my virtues, neither is memory. Or patience for that matter.
  dinsdag 8 januari 2008 @ 17:47:21 #207
138800 compier
This is Spartaaaaaaaa
pi_55878183
quote:
Op dinsdag 8 januari 2008 17:30 schreef popolon het volgende:
Oh ja gravel, daar begin ik ook niet aan. Dat spoelt inderdaad met die hoosbuien vrij makkelijk weg.

Je zit natuurlijk wel 'redelijk' dichtbij Kansas, toch wel een beetje Tornado Alley daar in de buurt.

[ afbeelding ]
mwoa, op een een of andere manier komen tornado's nooit aan de grond hier in het durp ..

De driveway kan goed tegen hoosbuien (2 jaar al met enorme hoosbuien/thunderstorms enzo) maar vannacht was wel HEUL erg :p
Live from Sparta MO
JOE-ES-EE!!
pi_55891003
3 killed as warm weather breeds winter tornadoes

VS getroffen door tornado's

In de nacht van maandag op dinsdag zijn de eerste drie mensen om het leven gekomen, door een serie tornado’s in de Verenigde Staten. De doden vielen in Arkansas en Missouri.

Het waren de eerste tornado’s van dit jaar die de staten Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois en Wisconsin troffen. Voorlopig werden er 37 geteld en dat is ongeveer het maandgemiddelde. Uit verschillende plaatsen werd schade gemeld. Volgens CNN zijn er tientallen huizen beschadigd.

De tornado’s zijn bijzonder voor januari. Normaal gesproken is dit natuurgeweld voor later dit jaar gereserveerd. Anderzijds zijn de omstandigheden in grote delen van de Verenigde Staten lente-achtig. Vooral in het zuiden, maar ook het oosten worden deze dagen recordhoge temperatuurwaardes gemeten. Volgens Accuweather werden er dinsdag op 986 weerstations een temperatuurrecords bereikt.

vwk
pi_55991521
Dit jaar alweer 89 tornado's in VS

Het aantal tornado’s in de Verenigde Staten dit jaar is opgelopen tot 89. Op de 10e werden er 32 waargenomen. Gemiddeld komen in januari 34 tornado's voor.

De meeste tornado’s kwamen voor in de staten Mississippi en Alabama. Daarbij raakten 5 mensen gewond.

Bijzonder was het voorkomen van een tornado aan de westkust, in het grensgebied van de staten Washington en Oregon.

De tornado zorgde voor schade aan bomen, huizen en auto’s. 800 mensen moesten het tijdelijk zonder elektriciteit doen. Ook werd een vrachtwagen omver geworpen.

In dit gebied komt volgens de lokale meteorologische dienst slechts 1 a 2 keer per jaar een tornado voor.

www.vwkweb.nl
pi_56554824
quote:
Noodweer in de Amerikaanse staten Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee en Kentucky heeft aan zeker 23 mensen het leven gekost, meldden Amerikaanse media woensdag. Meer dan honderd personen raakten gewond, aldus nieuwszender CNN.

De staten werden dinsdag, op 'Super Tuesday', getroffen door een reeks tornado's. In Atkins, Arkansas, kwam een echtpaar met hun kind om het leven. Autoriteiten meldden dat er in totaal veertien doden en tientallen gewonden waren gevallen in de staat. In de staat Kentucky vielen minstens drie doden in een woonwagenkamp.

Zes doden vielen voorts in Tennessee. In de universiteitstad Jackson verwoestte een tornado een studentenhuis waarbij studenten gewond of ingesloten raakten. In Tennessee en Mississippi raakten zeker dertig mensen gewond als gevolg van het noodweer.

Huckabee

In de hoofdstad van Arkansas, Little Rock, sprak de Republikeinse kandidaat en ex-gouverneur van Arkansas, Mike Huckabee, na zijn verrassende terugkeer in de race om tot Republikeins presidentskandidaat te worden gekozen.

Hij gedacht de slachtoffers in zijn rede. Andere kandidaten zoals de Democratische senatoren Hillary Clinton en Barack Obama deden dat dinsdagavond ook in hun redevoeringen.

In Tennessee en Arkansas moesten diverse stembureaus voor de voorverkiezingen in de race om het Amerikaanse presidentsschap eerder sluiten wegens het noodweer.
Bron

Loopt tussen de berichten over Super Thuesday (Verkiezingen VS) door al enkele uren berichting op CNN over hevige tornado's en noodweer in het zuiden van de USA.

Momenteel 18 doden bevestigd en honderden gewonden. Verwacht wordt dat het aantal doden zal stijgen.

[ Bericht 74% gewijzigd door paddy op 06-02-2008 10:41:48 (Bron toegevoegd) ]
pi_56554974
23 doden gerapporteerd nu. Meer dan 50 tornado's aan de grond waargenomen.
pi_56555026
Osama's nieuwe geheime wapen?
pi_56555101
tvp
pi_56555150
Meer dan 30 nu volgens CNN
pi_56555177
Ach is toch niet belangrijk!?

OBAMA< CLINTON< MCCAIN!!
pi_56555363
Melden nu weer 23...

Ook een enorme brand wellicht veroorzaakt door dit noorweer in een gas-opslag-plek oid

A tornado hit the Columbia Gas Natural Gas facility in Hartsville, Tennessee, late Tuesday, setting it on fire and sending flames 400-500 feet into the air, authorities said.

Deze enorme brand is overgeslagen naar wat huizen waardoor ook mensen overleden zijn.
  woensdag 6 februari 2008 @ 08:48:56 #217
113650 maniack28
Dresden Dolls O+
pi_56555387
Het was een goeie nacht voor tornadochasers daar
Cause I'd rather continue my trip to the top of the mountain then freeze to death in the valley.
pi_56555502
Shit happens. Wear a helmet.
My friends just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt.
Waarom vandaag doen als je het morgen ook kan uitstellen?
pi_56557179
OP iets uitgebreider gemaakt.

Zet ik CNN ook maar even op.

Wat een ellende voor die mensen daar
I Ask for so Little. Just Fear Me, Love Me, Do as I Say, and I Will Be Your Slave.
User van NWS zei: Maak van internet een schoner riool! YES WE CAN!
  woensdag 6 februari 2008 @ 10:47:34 #220
201498 Babyloniaa
wat zijn valse vlags?
pi_56557219
Hopelijk is er een avacuatieplan zoals in New Orleans
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=453297766442537103
Kennis is macht, onwetendheid is gevaarlijk..
pi_56557871
Ben ik nu zo'n moraalridder? Honderden gewonden en tientallen doden en het feestvieren rond de verkiezingen gaat gewoon door. De stormen trekken verder en niemand reageert. Wanneer ik toch als serieus betrokken leider wil over komen is het toch niet zo gek dat je het allemaal wat ingetogen gaat?

Hoorde dat er 27 dodelijke slachtoffers waren en het noodweer richting het oosten ging?
I Ask for so Little. Just Fear Me, Love Me, Do as I Say, and I Will Be Your Slave.
pi_56558001
Misschien hadden alle slachtoffers geen stemrechten. (Toeval? Met Amerika weet je het nooit! )
My friends just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt.
Waarom vandaag doen als je het morgen ook kan uitstellen?
pi_56558813
quote:
Op woensdag 6 februari 2008 11:28 schreef Jolly_Reaper het volgende:
Misschien hadden alle slachtoffers geen stemrechten. (Toeval? Met Amerika weet je het nooit! )
Zo bedoel ik het nu ook weer niet
pi_56558863
quote:
Op woensdag 6 februari 2008 11:22 schreef paddy het volgende:
Ben ik nu zo'n moraalridder? Honderden gewonden en tientallen doden en het feestvieren rond de verkiezingen gaat gewoon door. De stormen trekken verder en niemand reageert. Wanneer ik toch als serieus betrokken leider wil over komen is het toch niet zo gek dat je het allemaal wat ingetogen gaat?

Hoorde dat er 27 dodelijke slachtoffers waren en het noodweer richting het oosten ging?
The show must go on
stupidity has become as common as common sense was before
pi_56562720
Erge was dat een van de republikeinen in z'n toespraak even de ellende noemde van deze storm, dat het veel belangrijker is dat er mensen bij zijn omgekomen etc etc... denk je ok doet ie netjes... en dan knalt ie ineens zo over op 'but this is your night, this is our night! '
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')