abonnement Unibet Coolblue
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 00:45:49 #276
159761 Arn0
Abbey Road
pi_97443664
quote:
0s.gif Op zaterdag 28 mei 2011 20:24 schreef Aisumasen het volgende:
Anderhalve week "Suck It And See", opgeschaald naar een 7,9. Zonder twijfel het leukste wat ze gedaan hebben sinds 2007. Zo veel single-materiaal, zo veel hits. Mijn favorieten in volgorde:
Dat vind ik net het grootste probleem, omdat het allemaal "leuk" klinkt en materiaal voor singles is, is de kwaliteit enorm gedaald. Gitaarrifjes zijn erg simpel geworden, lyrics zijn ook niet meer wat het geweest is.
By hook or by crook, I'll be last in this book.
pi_97445638
Ik zap niks door maar imo had All my Own stunts en Thats were your wrong wel een stuk beter gekunt. Blijft niet hangen op deze manier ;(
"If you're not happy wearing denim, you're a devil in disguise"
pi_97445819
Kwaliteit staat mijlenver boven het gros van de nummers uit 2009 of 2010. En juist de teksten op dit album spreken me zo erg aan. De luchtigere sfeer doet de band erg goed. Alex Turner laat zich (alwéér) horen van een kant die ik nog niet eerder heb gehoord, het bijna wijsneuzige op "Black Treacle" en het vertederende op "Suck It And See", briljant.

Wat betreft de composities viel ook gelijk op dat hij een ander pad bewandelt. Kan ook wel specifieke voorbeelden geven: De akkoorden op "Reckless Serenade" (And now I'm stuck [..]/How it's meant to be), "She's Thunderstorms" (Lying on her front/Up against the wall). Die had hij hiervoor nooit zo 'makkelijk' afgemaakt, maar het werkt perfect bij deze songs. Het ligt daardoor inderdaad iets makkelijker in het gehoor, maar het doet nergens aan af.

Je merkt het aan alles, de interviews, de live-optredens, dit gaat weer een hele grote voor ze worden.
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 02:17:32 #279
159761 Arn0
Abbey Road
pi_97445915
quote:
0s.gif Op zondag 29 mei 2011 02:12 schreef Aisumasen het volgende:
Kwaliteit staat mijlenver boven het gros van de nummers uit 2009 of 2010.
Snap echt niet hoe je dat kan zeggen, op een handvol nummers na vind ik alle nummers slechter dan alles wat ze hiervoor hebben gedaan. Toen ik het album voor het eerste luisterde vond ik het nog meevallen maar nu, in vergelijking met al hun albums.. Ben ik toch wel zwaar teleurgesteld.

Dat het "Mardy Bum" publiek dit album goed vind had ik wel verwacht, maar sommige mensen hier op FOK! etc, nah :P
pi_97446300
quote:
Arctic Monkeys: "We want to get better rather than get bigger"

Barbara Ellen
The Observer, Sunday 29 May 2011

The Arctic Monkeys' pitch-perfect songs about youth culture (girls, mates, chips, cabs, poseurs), Gordon Brown's namecheck and their huge internet popularity rocketed the Sheffield band to the top of the tree. Here, as they release their brilliant fourth album, they talk candidly about fame, politics and falling in love.

Hey hey, it's the monkeys: 'Whatever it is that makes us sound like us is built into the four of us.'

It's probably a good thing that when I interview the Arctic Monkeys I get to speak to their frontman, Alex Turner, three times. The first time, we meet in a private members' club in east London (where Turner lives with his girlfriend, TV presenter Alexa Chung) and he is quiet and reserved, with lots of silences punctuated by flashes of dry Sheffield humour. The second time, at the photo studios with the rest of the band (guitarist Jamie Cook, bass player Nick O'Malley and drummer Matt Helders), he seems more relaxed. And the third, talking on the phone from the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Carlisle, he is friendly and charming, signing off with a cheery "Nice one, love!"

Clearly Turner is slow to burn with new people, as is the rest of the band. It goes some way to explaining how, in the early days of their meteoric rise, the Monkeys gained a reputation for being difficult, uncommunicative – "mardy bums" if you like. But when I ask Turner about this, he describes it as "a bit of a defence mechanism that kicked in. When the first album blew up, we shut a lot of people out, just to try to keep some sort of control."

You were very young – was it a form of self-protection? "I suppose," says Turner. "It's quite unusual to have all these people asking questions. Still now, talking about myself is strange. If you do it for a long time, it puts you in a weird place."

You could become a raging egomaniac? "Yeah, that's it."

The Monkeys were barely 20 at the time of their 2006 debut, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. It remains the bestselling debut in British history, beating Oasis, going quadruple platinum and garnering Brits, a Mercury and an Ivor Novello award, not to mention that namecheck from Gordon Brown ("They really wake you up in the mornings.") Going on to headline Glastonbury in 2007, the Monkeys were the first of the MySpace bands to be promoted on the internet by fans, via free demos and file-sharing – and were credited with scaring awake a sleeping music industry. There followed 2007's Favourite Worst Nightmare, 2009's Humbug, and now the release of their fourth album, Suck It and See. Everything considered, not bad going for what Turner describes as "not centre of attention kind of people".

In photographs, Turner's pale skin and huge brown eyes, peering up under mussed hair, can make him look almost Bambi-ish. In person, in leather jacket and skinny jeans, he's "indie-handsome", as can be confirmed by the many fan-blogs devoted to discussing his gorgeousness. (My favourite is the earnestly titled, "What do you love most about Alex?")

At first when I speak to Turner, there are eerie pauses and a lot of "it's hard to recall…", more than seems feasible for a 25-year-old. But when he warms up he is sharp, droll and, it turns out, genuinely bad at remembering certain details, such as writing the first lyric, giving the first autograph: "It all seems so far away now." His initial aversion to eye contact reminds me that, in the early days, rehearsing in his parents' garage – "Just wanting to make a row, make friends laugh" – Turner tried to find someone else to sing in the band.

Does he still find it hard to think of himself as a natural frontman? "I've grown into it, though I don't think it was destiny or anything." When I ask him whether he was shy and quiet as a young boy or a tearaway, he replies, "Definitely the former." As a personality type, would he have been happier not being the frontman? "I'm not sure. I think I like the idea that I would have, but I'm quite a control freak." He grins. "There's a bit of that."

The good news is that Suck It and See is brilliant. Songs include "Black Treacle", the first single, "Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair", "She's Thunderstorms", "The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala" and "Love is a Laser Quest", and there's not a dud among them (except, perhaps, the monotonous "Brick by Brick"). It's full of tight melodies, prowling guitars and reflective yet pithy lyrics, bringing to mind everything from Captain Beefheart, the White Stripes and the Beach Boys to Nick Cave, the Jesus and Mary Chain and Iggy Pop (the group have become huge Stooges fans), all powered by a dark rock/country pulse.

It's a departure from the provincial roar of the first two albums, where songs such as "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor", "Fluorescent Adolescent" and "The View From The Afternoon" featured Turner's pitch-perfect lyrical reportage on youth culture in Sheffield (girls, mates, chips, cabs, local poseurs).

Suck It and See also differs from the more opaque, guitar-heavy third album, Humbug. Partly made in the Mojave Desert and produced by Josh Homme from the band Queens of the Stone Age, Humbug received what is politely known as a mixed reception. Some weren't happy that the band had changed, and not just musically (Turner and O'Malley grew their hair, Cook had a beard). But Turner is adamant that it was necessary. Working with Miles Kane, the former frontman of the Rascals, on the side project The Last Shadow Puppets made him creatively restless. And while the Monkeys have recently "made friends" with their first album, for a time they couldn't face their earlier stuff. In particular, Turner felt that Favourite Worst Nightmare was too much of a rush-job.

"It's fine, just not that considered. Though I'm really glad we did it – otherwise I might still be sitting around trying to write 'Hallelujah'," he says, with a slight roll of his eyes. "After that, we all thought we needed to move on." Break with your past? "Yeah," he says. "If only to prove that it weren't all about those 12 songs about the chip shop."

I meet up with all the Arctic Monkeys when they're getting their photograph taken. Along with Turner, there's Jamie Cook (friendly, beard-free), Nick O'Malley (laconic, an early replacement for original bass player Andy Nicholson) and Matt Helders (naturally ebullient, but not feeling well). We sit at a table full of beers to chat. Like Turner, his bandmates are polite, occasionally wary and drily humorous. When I ask them about the financial rewards of being in a band, O'Malley says quietly, "It's our only motivation."

Cook, O'Malley and Helders still live in Sheffield, although they don't seem at all tribal about it. Are they treated like local celebrities? "Nah," says Helders, "it's not that kind of place." They find one of my lines of questioning, about rock 'n' roll clichés, ridiculous. "I am more and more attracted to rock 'n' roll clichés – closer and closer," deadpans Helders. As for the touring cliché of living for the hour onstage, Helders reckons, "Not me. It gets in the way of my Sudoku."

The previous night, they'd been on Later with Jools Holland, performing "Reckless Serenade", "Don't Sit Down…" and my favourite from the album, the anarchic "Library Pictures" ("Give me an eenie minie mo/And an ip, dip, dogshit, rock 'n' roll"). I was there for their set and, with a strong line-up (the Brian Wilson Band, Alison Krauss, Warpaint and Gappy Ranks), the Monkeys held their own – although they don't think so.

"It's not normal to have to face each other and play like that," says O'Malley. "And when you see somebody playing that well, you're like, 'shit, I can't do that'." Turner agrees: "Those bands are such good musicians. But it was a different thing that we were bringing – it's not all about proficiency." He pauses for a beat. "Though I suppose it is."

Is the point that they have to walk the walk now – they can't be the whippersnappers in polo shirts from High Green any more? Talking about the Arctic Monkeys' past, it becomes clear that their rise wasn't "overnight" (there was the usual jumble of incidents, accidents, false starts, local pub shows and hard graft). However, it was pretty close. "I hate to say organic, like vegan," says Turner, "but it was like that."

As for Humbug, all the band say they're proud of it, and relished their time in the Mojave Desert studio (which sounds like rehab for blocked indie rockers). Turner says: "The main thing I learned is that whatever it is that makes us sound like us is built into the four of us. Josh said it, too: 'Whatever happens, it will always sound like you guys.'"

Some of the criticisms of Humbug are rather strange. It would have been a tragedy if their early material hadn't sounded like young boys from Sheffield having a scream, but by their third album, it would have been a tragedy if they'd still sounded like that. Turner claims he doesn't read reviews anyway: "Either it's really bad and you get a sour taste in your mouth, or it's really good, and you get a bit too satisfied. You're never left in a good place."

It must be hard though, after that initial huge impact (awards, plaudits, bestselling albums by 20, Glastonbury by 21), to keep replicating that kind of momentum and excitement? The Monkeys just shrug – it's not an issue, it's still exciting.

According to Turner, there was never a masterplan anyway. "One thing just led to another until that thing became 'we're going to play Glastonbury'. That was a turning point. You do this thing that seems huge, you're really nervous, you don't think you perform well, it's raining, the sound doesn't seem loud enough. Then you come back down to earth." After Glastonbury, the Monkeys played a club in Oslo. "I remember this feeling of, 'That was it, you got to there, now where do you go?' And the answer is… 'You go to Oslo'."

I ask them whether they can see how musicians go crazy and come to need that kind of high all the time.

"It's not really like that for us," says Turner. "We want to get better rather than get bigger."

Talking alone to Turner, I suggest he is hounded by an early lyric from "Fake Tales of San Francisco": "You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham." Like Pete Townshend's "I hope I die before I get old," it's become a stick to beat him with in every interview, with the implication that he is now the person he was criticising.

"No," Turner corrects. "I'm now the person those people were pretending to be." He grins. "That suddenly felt very crass coming out of my mouth. That lyric was just for a small circle of people, to make them laugh. It didn't occur to me that it would end up striking a chord with a larger circle."

How does he feel about fame? "I've become more comfortable with that. At the same time, it's not like I'm Lady Gaga."

"Fire and the Thud", on Humbug, includes the line "I'd like to poke them in their prying eyes" and I ask him whether it's a comment on media intrusion.

"No, I wouldn't write songs about that."

"Fire and the Thud" is also supposed to be about Turner's decision to move to New York with Chung when she was working for MTV. Does he think their relationship magnifies the attention they get?

"I suppose it does, yeah."

Following your girlfriend to New York for her work is quite "new man" for a Sheffield lad, I say.

"I was glad she asked me to go with her."

But moving to America for someone is pretty special – really rather lovely. "I didn't think of it like that. I thought, the pleasure's all mine." After a brief pause, Turner adds: "The first time I went to New York it was really exciting and I thought, given half the chance, it would be nice to live there – the same with London. So if you get something to give you the impetus that's great…" His voice trails away, as if to say: "That's your lot."

Clearly Turner doesn't appreciate people nosing into his private life, which is fair enough. However, there is no denying his lyrics have changed – in places, become more thoughtful, tender – and part of the reason may be that he fell in love. There are songs on Suck It and See where he sounds in awe of one woman, others where he sounds in awe of all women. Certainly, there seems a difference between the sentiments of "Love is a Laserquest" ("I'm sure that you're still breaking hearts with the efficiency that only youth can harness"), or the title track ("Your kiss, it could put creases in the rain"), and a song from their first album, such as "Still Take You Home" ("I'm having a job talking to you"). In that track, the window on the male teenage brain is funny rather than offensive, but there's no doubting the song is more about testosterone than emotion. Would Turner agree that when he was first writing about girls, there was a lot more sexual aggression? "I suppose so," he says, "but there's always been a hint of romance to the lyrics."

In the past, Turner thinks he used to put either too much of himself into the songs or too little. "I needed to strike a balance between the two, and hopefully with this album it's like that." For a self-confessed "control freak", is it hard to reveal feelings? "Yeah, but often there were things in the songs that'd mean something to me, but they're disguised – I'd hide stuff. I think it's because at first I used to write so directly and that bled into me wanting to reject that and, you know… just be the walrus for a bit."

Back talking with all of the Monkeys, I ask about Nick Clegg, the MP for Sheffield Hallam. "Last time he came [to Sheffield] it was a big deal," says Helders. "Snipers on top of John Lewis. They were sealing drains off, putting in clingfilm, so that people couldn't put bombs down them." "Yeah," says Cook, "it was after he sided with the Conservative Party."

Do they think Clegg let people down? The table falls silent. Eventually, O'Malley says: "I don't know. I've heard people who are really into it, say, 'Yeah', so I'll say, 'Yeah'. Because I don't really know much about it."

Are they not particularly political? "Not particularly," says Helders. "Not because I don't want to be, I just haven't got around to it yet. I don't trust my own opinions."

I ask whether they have any views on tuition fees. Turner, who has been quiet until now, shifts in his seat. "We do," he says, "but whether we want to voice them in The Observer is a different conversation."

Weren't you dragged into politics early on, what with Gordon Brown namechecking you? They fall about laughing.

"Look where that got us!" cries Cook. "Yeah," says O'Malley. "I hear Thatcher got right into Humbug as well."

Joking apart, there was definitely a sense of social commentary in their earlier stuff – the kind of lyrics that could go into a space capsule to represent a moment in place and time. "While it was describing those situations, I wasn't necessarily offering an opinion on them," says Turner.

What do they think the job of a rock band is?

"Entertainment," replies Helders. "I can't think what else it would be."

Really? There are other levels, surely. Just before the Monkeys go to have their photographs taken, we are discussing the human impulse to make a mark and Turner says: "I remember Leonard Cohen talking once about wanting to move to New York to be a writer and, it's like, he just wanted to be good. There's nowt wrong with that, I think."

Certainly you get a sense that Turner has grown into more than just the singing. Four albums in, he has finally decided to publish his lyrics. Oddly, considering his awards, and quite touchingly, he says it took him time to identify himself as a songwriter. "I just misunderstood what it was, I think. But then I started to recognise that it was a craft, you know, something you could get better at. Then it dawned on me – I do write songs. That's me."

The final time I speak to Turner, it's over the phone, with a crowd roaring behind him, as the band waits to go on at Carlisle. The conversation turns again to the wider world and the question of whether bands should reflect the times. Whether, for example, they form the soundtrack to a war even if they're not directly about it.

"I think we touched on it the other day," he says. "You were saying, do you read the newspapers, are you interested? I know you're not talking about protest songs and, of course, I'm aware of what's going on to a degree, but…" He considers. "I just don't think I'm equipped to soundtrack the times. There might be someone out there who can do that, but I haven't cracked it. To quote another songwriter who had a crack at that, it ain't me, babe…"

How about their creative future? Noel Gallagher once said that he didn't realise that one day the songs would run out. "I've heard him say that."

Does he think that there is a finite number of songs in people? "I think I did – right after that first record, when I'd written maybe 20 songs in my life. I thought: what is this, can I keep this going? It was then that I realised songwriting is a craft and I could work and get better at it. And hopefully I have. It's what I was saying to you before, about the balance – putting yourself into it, but not completely."

Right now, with the new album coming out, he says he's not nervous at all. "I get nervous about gigs sometimes, but not with records – I always get excited. With every record we've done, the moment we've finished it, we've been really proud. We just want people to hear it – to share it."

http://www.guardian.co.uk(...)erview-barbara-ellen
"In particular, Turner felt that Favourite Worst Nightmare was too much of a rush-job."

Dat kan ik me voorstellen.

""Fire and the Thud", on Humbug, includes the line "I'd like to poke them in their prying eyes" and I ask him whether it's a comment on media intrusion. "No, I wouldn't write songs about that."

OH RLY?
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 02:38:33 #281
159761 Arn0
Abbey Road
pi_97446325
Leuk artikel, zoals wel vaker bij The Guardian _O_
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 02:51:30 #282
123869 Merkie
Surprisingly contagious
pi_97446572
""Fire and the Thud", on Humbug, includes the line "I'd like to poke them in their prying eyes" and I ask him whether it's a comment on media intrusion. "No, I wouldn't write songs about that."

Dat is sarcastisch bedoeld neem ik aan :P ?
2000 light years from home
pi_97447251
FWN een rushjob... Goddamn, het is nu al hun beste werk, wat was dat geworden dan :o
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 11:33:35 #284
198540 BoerBert
Bij wijze van spreken
pi_97450672
quote:
0s.gif Op zondag 29 mei 2011 02:02 schreef Bol_Wan het volgende:
Ik zap niks door maar imo had All my Own stunts en Thats were your wrong wel een stuk beter gekunt. Blijft niet hangen op deze manier ;(
Vind ik dan weer een van de fijnere nummers. Dus ja, ze kunnen niet iedereen 100% tevreden stellen :P
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 12:15:23 #285
53267 TC03
Catch you on the flipside
pi_97451732
Suck It And See staat, in tegenstelling tot Humbug, vol met coole lyrics. :) "Thunder circle fuzz canyon" alleen al telt dubbel. w/
Ten percent faster with a sturdier frame
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 13:51:42 #286
171161 Bellatrix
video et taceo
pi_97454755
3fm heeft de laatste kaarten. :')
“I am become a sour woman, I take no joy in mead nor meat, and song and laughter have become suspicious strangers to me. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my heart was once.”
pi_97455457
quote:
3s.gif Op zondag 29 mei 2011 13:51 schreef Bellatrix het volgende:
3fm heeft de laatste kaarten. :')
http://www.3fm.nl/actie/214/3FM-Presents-Arctic-Monkeys

3FM presents Arctic Monkeys...
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 14:13:26 #288
159761 Arn0
Abbey Road
pi_97455521
Deze jonge, Britse Indie-rockers hebben het best verkochte debuutalbum in Engeland op hun naam staan.

Eerste zin en ze gaan al in de fout :P
pi_97456249
oke, en toen was ik verlslaafd aan het nieuwe album.
pi_97460898
IDST is cool.
  zondag 29 mei 2011 @ 17:09:28 #291
192683 AMDB
Visionair.
pi_97461215
Even mijn top aan nummers:\

1. Suck it and See
2. Black Treacle
3. All My Own Stunts
4. Library Pictures
5. Piledriver Waltz
6. Brick by Brick
7. Reckless Serenade
8. Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair
9. She's Thunderstorms
10. Love is a Laserquest
11. The Hellcat Spangled Shalala
12. That's Where You're Wrong

De nummers 6 t/m 11 kunnen nog flink wisselen qua plek :') Lastig echt een zinnig woord te zeggen over die nummers, allemaal goed.

That's Where You're Wrong vind ik toch echt niks aan.
pi_97461807
Vind het album erg goed, maar het is voor mij wel hun minste tot nu toe.
Daarbij vind ik dat The Blond-0-shimmer trap best op het album had gekund.

Volgorde in nummers van favoriet tot minst favo.

1. That's Where You're Wrong
2. The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala
3. All My Own Stunts
4. Suck It and See
5. Library Pictures
6. She's Thunderstorms
7. Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair
8. Reckless Serenade
9. Black Treacle
10. Love Is a Laserquest
11. The Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap ( ik weet het)
12. Brick By Brick
13. Piledriver Waltz
pi_97485197
quote:
0s.gif Op zondag 29 mei 2011 17:26 schreef Vatta het volgende:
Vind het album erg goed, maar het is voor mij wel hun minste tot nu toe.
Daarbij vind ik dat The Blond-0-shimmer trap best op het album had gekund.

Volgorde in nummers van favoriet tot minst favo.

1. That's Where You're Wrong
2. The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala
3. All My Own Stunts
4. Suck It and See
5. Library Pictures
6. She's Thunderstorms
7. Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair
8. Reckless Serenade
9. Black Treacle
10. Love Is a Laserquest
11. The Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap ( ik weet het)
12. Brick By Brick
13. Piledriver Waltz
Op de Japanse editie is The Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap toegevoegd als extra track, zie ik hier op eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcti(...)&hash=item27bb51e481

Geen I.D.S.T...
pi_97485229
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcti(...)&hash=item2eb368f910

Hier een kaart voor Central Park op eBay: 999 dollar!!! Staat bij: 24 mei.. Ik snap het niet. Wanneer is het nou echt?? Niet dat ik een potentiele koper ben voor dit bedrag...
pi_97489132
Ik zie een AM hype aankomen. De (NL) recensies zullen iig positief tot zeer positief zijn.
" tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope."
pi_97492491
Hij staat nu ook op Luisterpaal, maargoed iedereen hier kent hem al.
pi_97492651
quote:
0s.gif Op maandag 30 mei 2011 12:57 schreef Zocalo het volgende:
Hij staat nu ook op Luisterpaal, maargoed iedereen hier kent hem al.
En op de Arctic Monkeys website.
pi_97492718
Deze week spelen ze ook live bij Zane toch? weet niet meer precies welke dag..

Oja dan doe ik ook maar een top 12:
1.That's where you're wrong
2.All My Own stunts
3.The Hellcat
4.Reckless Serenade
5.Black Treacle
6.She's Thunderstorms
7.Suck it and See
8.Library Pictures
9. Don't Sit Down
10.Piledriver Waltz
11.Brick by Brick
12. Love is a Laserquest
pi_97494376
quote:
0s.gif Op maandag 30 mei 2011 11:08 schreef febster het volgende:
Ik zie een AM hype aankomen. De (NL) recensies zullen iig positief tot zeer positief zijn.
Inderdaad zeer lovend de flarden die er tot nu toe over zijn geschreven. En terecht natuurlijk. Terug op het oude niveau.
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')