abonnement Unibet Coolblue
  vrijdag 28 december 2012 @ 20:51:13 #76
341900 Atmosphere82
The ground had gone sour Louis
pi_120880330
quote:
0s.gif Op donderdag 27 december 2012 21:33 schreef Fritz-Kempf het volgende:

[..]

Precies een dag niet echt, maar het zou niet veel schelen.
Ja, het blijft surrealistisch hè?
'Here are the young men, the weight on their shoulders,
Here are the young men, well where have they been?
We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chamber,
Pushed to the limit, we dragged ourselves in...' ('Decades' van Joy Division)
  donderdag 25 december 2014 @ 03:06:54 #77
304498 Nibb-it
Dirc die maelre
pi_147948913
http://www.nzherald.co.nz(...)=2&objectid=11378857

quote:
Christmas ceasefire: An 'extraordinary sight'

5:00 AM Thursday Dec 25, 2014

On December 25, 1914 German and British soldiers called a ceasefire and played a game of soccer. File photo / NZ Herald

A letter from a World War I soldier describing the "extraordinary sight" of a spontaneous Christmas ceasefire between German and British soldiers has been published 100 years after it was written.

British army officer Alfred Dougan Chater wrote the letter to his mother from a freezing trench on the Western Front in 1914, describing an event remembered as a moment of fleeting humanity in a four-year war that killed more than 16 million.

"I am writing this in the trenches in my 'dug-out' - with a wood fire going and plenty of straw it is rather cosy, although it is freezing hard and real Christmas weather," wrote Chater.

The letter, published on Wednesday, appears to be written in two parts - the first on Christmas Day and the second on December 27.

"I think I have seen today one of the most extraordinary sights that anyone has ever seen.

About 10 o'clock this morning I was peeping over the parapet when I saw a German, waving his arms, and presently two of them got out of their trench and came towards ours."

"We were just going to fire on them when we saw they had no rifles, so one of our men went to meet them and in about two minutes the ground between the two lines of trenches was swarming with men and officers of both sides, shaking hands and wishing each other a happy Christmas."

An officer of the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders, Chater wrote that soldiers had been "wandering about at will on the top of the parapet" and that a joint burial service was held for dead British and German soldiers retrieved from no-man's-land.

"We exchanged cigarettes and autographs, and some more people took photos," Chater wrote.

"I don't know how long it will go on for ... We are, at any rate, having another truce on New Year's Day, as the Germans want to see how the photos come out!"

British newspapers went on to publish photos of the soldiers mingling, beginning a celebration of the truce revived in recent months alongside events to mark the centenary of the war.

Last week British and German soldiers played a friendly football match in the English garrison town of Aldershot to mark a game supposedly held between the trenches in 1914.

The truce did not last, and Chater was badly wounded three months later. But he survived to marry the sweetheart he had left behind, and died in England in 1974.

The letter was released by Britain's Royal Mail, which recently published stamps of photographs of the truce, after it was passed to the company by a member of Chater's family.

-AAP
'Je gaat het pas zien als je het doorhebt'
'Ieder nadeel heb zijn voordeel'
We zullen je nooit, nooit vergeten
1947-2016
pi_147965433
Ik kom net deze reclame tegen, past hier wel :)

- En zoals pijn ook een vorm van voelen is, laat kou me weten dat ik wist wat warmte was.
- Ik ben de reden voor wie voor zijn lijden reden zoekt!
- Those people who tell you not to take chances, they are all missing on what life is about.
pi_147968207
quote:
0s.gif Op vrijdag 26 december 2014 00:37 schreef bas-beest het volgende:
Ik kom net deze reclame tegen, past hier wel :)

De houding is toch aardig veranderd zo tegenover het kerstbestand, van absurde leeftijdseisen voor de film tot reclame voor iedereen.
pi_147970524
quote:
0s.gif Op vrijdag 26 december 2014 09:40 schreef ultra_ivo het volgende:

[..]

De houding is toch aardig veranderd zo tegenover het kerstbestand, van absurde leeftijdseisen voor de film tot reclame voor iedereen.
Of als een stel 'landverraders' tot helden van een wonder.
'Je gaat het pas zien als je het doorhebt'
'Ieder nadeel heb zijn voordeel'
We zullen je nooit, nooit vergeten
1947-2016
pi_147983543
quote:
0s.gif Op donderdag 27 december 2012 21:33 schreef Fritz-Kempf het volgende:

[..]

Precies een dag niet echt, maar het zou niet veel schelen.
Op sommige plekken aan de frontlinie werd er zelfs tot de jaarwisseling niet meer gestreden. Op andere plekken waarschuwde men de "vijand" wanneer er bijv. een artilleriebombardement plaats zou gaan vinden.
“[i]Waat ein waer, waat ein waer[/i]” zei Mien taege Bair en Bair neukdje Mien door ut banksjtil haer.
  zaterdag 3 januari 2015 @ 13:21:36 #83
372302 Revanches
Soeverein en onafhankelijk
pi_148277825
De generaals waren vast not amused met dat hele kerstbestand. :D
And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function
  FOK!fotograaf zaterdag 3 januari 2015 @ 13:58:18 #84
73911 ultra_ivo
pi_148278928
quote:
0s.gif Op zaterdag 3 januari 2015 13:21 schreef Revanches het volgende:
De generaals waren vast not amused met dat hele kerstbestand. :D
Dan druk je je heel erg voorzichtig uit.
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')