abonnement Unibet Coolblue
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:36:19 #1
38849 Notorious_Roy
Doomed since 1889
pi_82316980

What's all this then?

This is the Pandora, a pocket-sized gaming computer. It's a console, UMPC, PMP, MID, BFG and any number of TLAs, some of which haven't been invented yet. It began life as a community project of sorts, headed by several prominent members of the GP32X.com community and funded by 4,000 pre-orderers. It's the spiritual successor to open handhelds such as the GP32 and GP2X, designed with community input to answer all the complaints of the systems that came before. Read all the specs [url="http://www.open-pandora.org/"]on the official Pandora website[/url].

Wasn't it coming out over a year ago? Why is it so late?

Shut up! That's why! This little device has survived production delays, bank meltdowns, angry mobs, natural disasters, vapourware trolls, other detractors who may have had valid points in hindsight but not today ok, and much more. Perhaps the biggest time factor though, was that it was designed and built from the ground up by a bunch of guys who'd never done it before. Turns out it's pretty difficult to build something like this with no experience, no corporate backing and no millions. Who'da thunk? But it's finally real, and it's shipping out to patient pre-orderers right now.

How do they expect to compete with Nintendo and Sony?

They don't. The Pandora is a niche device aimed at retro gamers, homebrew lovers, and anyone who likes open devices. It's expected to sell in the thousands, not millions. Not that they'll say no if a million people want one.

What's "open" about it?

Put simply, "open" means you can do what you want with it. Developers can write or port software and release it how they like (free, open source if they want, commercial is cool too). Users bask in the glory of all this, installing what they want without restrictions, without DRM, without tiresome rules or terms of service. It runs a completely open source operating system, which you're also free to hack, slash or just replace. And that's just the software. Want to tether to your phone or use a DualShock pad via Bluetooth? Go for it. Fancy plugging in a USB broadband modem, or HDD, or MIDI controller? Do it. Got a use for UART? It's at the rear expansion port. Want to add more buttons and lights? There are spare solder pads inside, go nuts.

I'm a gamer, not a hacker!

That's cool baby. A large portion of Pandora buyers are more interested in mashing buttons than making and modding things. It's a gaming handheld for gamers! It just so happens that you're allowed to hack it, if that's what blows your skirt up.

What about the Linux thing though? I don't know how to Linux.

That's ok, you don't need to! Countless hours have been spent customising the Pandora operating system (based on Ångström Linux) to make it as seamless and user friendly as possible. You can switch between several different GUIs, from a mobile-style icon grid to a fully fledged desktop environment which is as easy to use as Windows. The finger-friendly Ubuntu Netbook Launcher is even in there. Managing your installed software is extremely simple too, thanks to the specially developed "pnd" system. All apps are downloaded as a single .pnd file. Save it to your SD card and installation is complete - it automatically appears in your menu and it's ready to run. To uninstall, just delete the .pnd file. Linux isn't supposed to be this simple! It's a disgrace!

Yeah well, it's big and ugly.

Be fair now, it's not that big. It's only a touch bigger than the NDS Lite. As for looks, well, 4,000 people saw fit to throw their money down in advance, so it must be bringing sexy back for someone, right? (Yes!). If you're not quite seeing it, just think of that plain kid in high school who you never really noticed until you found out they had every kind of console and the keys to the liquor cabinet. Pretty enough now? Giggity.

Wait, $330? I can buy a PS3 for that!

Yes, you can. But when you buy a big brand console, you're only covering part of the manufacturing cost. These companies typically sell high volumes of hardware at a loss, and rely on software revenues to turn a profit. Open Pandora Ltd is a low volume manufacturer, and each sale needs to cover the cost of the hardware. Once you buy, the deal is done; they are not relying on you to buy software to make more money. This is good news for developers too - no SDK costs or licensing fees, just make your software and release it at your leisure.

Does the name have anything to do with the radio service, or the jewellery, or the PSP battery haxx, or those blue people, or the Greek mythology?

No, no, no, no, and yes.

Show me some things then.

K, here are some videos. They're not promo vids, just bits and pieces of development progress filmed for the benefit of pre-orderers. The first group of videos were made on pre-production Pandoras in the last few months:

A platter of Pandoras | Office apps, OS tweaks | Theme changes | Adjusting nub settings | LCD gamma manager | Switching GUIs, installing apps and a bit of Atari ST | DOSBox frontend + Warcraft | Amiga | D-pad workout with Picodrive | Commodore 64 | Developing on the Pandora with PyGame

The next group of videos are older, and were made on a range of old prototypes and dev boards. They do not represent the current state of software (or hardware, obviously!):

Wolf3D | Doom | Quake 1 | Quake 2 | Quake 3 (using dual nubs) | Descent | Descent 2 | Marathon | Heroes of Might & Magic 2 | SNES | PSX | MAME

Many more videos can be found in the (community maintained) Pandora Video Vault.

Can I buy one now?

Not at this moment. The first batch of 4,000 is currently being assembled and shipped. Once that's done (give it a month or so), pre-orders for the second batch will be opened. It is hoped that later batches will be manufactured in advance, and stocked by some web outlets.

More links and information:

Official site: http://www.open-pandora.org
Community blog (unofficial): http://pandorapress.net
GP32X forums: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showforum=61
Pandora Wiki/FAQ: http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ
Pandora Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29

Thanks to NeoGAF

Vorig deel:
Pandora; open source handheld console II
The hardware is just a box you buy only because you want to play Mario games - Yamauchi
Mr. Zurkon doesn't need bolts, his currency is pain
Roy-O-Rama | Backlog | Wish-list
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:41:35 #2
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82317135
Nog even over de ABXY.
De A is in alle spellen de meest gebruikte knop en zit dus bij alle controllers op de meest logische plek (de plek waar de duim valt als een gemiddelde hand het ding normaal in vasthoudt.)
Bij de Pandora lijkt dit niet het geval te zijn? Kan iemand met dat ding dat bevestigen of ontkennen?
Trots lid van het 👿 Duivelse Viertal 👿
Een gedicht over Maanvis
Het ONZ / [KAMT] Kennis- en Adviescentrum Maanvis Topics , voor al je vragen over mijn topiques!
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:51:37 #3
38849 Notorious_Roy
Doomed since 1889
pi_82317384
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 09:41 schreef Maanvis het volgende:
Nog even over de ABXY.
De A is in alle spellen de meest gebruikte knop en zit dus bij alle controllers op de meest logische plek (de plek waar de duim valt als een gemiddelde hand het ding normaal in vasthoudt.)
Bij de Pandora lijkt dit niet het geval te zijn? Kan iemand met dat ding dat bevestigen of ontkennen?
http://www.shamoozal.com/(...)ntial-game-pad-ever/
The hardware is just a box you buy only because you want to play Mario games - Yamauchi
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:52:37 #4
31057 jpg97
Otaku No Kenkyu
pi_82317403
Dan doe je toch "Y" gebruiken?

Anywhooooo welk spel is dat links onder?
Eén of anders Star-Trek spel?

Op dinsdag 28 februari 2006 13:50 schreef Avery het volgende:
ik ben dan nieuw ik zie zo dat jij irritant ben jpg
PieAir
Ik denk altijd heel goed na voor ik iets stoms zeg...
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:53:15 #5
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82317416
ABXY plaatsing is gepatenteerd net als de tekentjes van de playstation. In dit geval hebben ze gekozen voor de plaatsing van de geestelijke voorganger van de pandora namelijk de GP2X. Alle knoppen op de pandora zijn trouwens gewoon te mappen hoe je het zelf wilt (opensource ftw!)
En mochten we vallen dan is het omhoog. - Krang (uit: Pantani)
My favourite music is the music I haven't yet heard - John Cage
Water: ijskoud de hardste - Gehenna
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:54:58 #6
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82317474
quote:
Daar zitten ze ook gewoon OOK op de logischte plek . Dus de A waar je duim valt!
Net zoals bij de Xbox waar ie onderaan zit. Daar valt je duim!

Maar hier valt je duim op de X.
Een gedicht over Maanvis
Het ONZ / [KAMT] Kennis- en Adviescentrum Maanvis Topics , voor al je vragen over mijn topiques!
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:58:08 #7
38849 Notorious_Roy
Doomed since 1889
pi_82317575
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 09:54 schreef Maanvis het volgende:

[..]

Daar zitten ze ook gewoon OOK op de logischte plek . Dus de A waar je duim valt!
Net zoals bij de Xbox waar ie onderaan zit. Daar valt je duim!

Maar hier valt je duim op de X.
Op de SNES valt hij ook niet op de plek waar je op doelt. Het boeit ook echt geen fuck hoe ze die knop noemen. Als ze het KLMN noemen is de hele discussie overbodig, dus. Deal with it.

vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 09:58:54 #8
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82317602
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 09:58 schreef Notorious_Roy het volgende:

[..]

Op de SNES valt hij ook niet op de plek waar je op doelt. Het boeit ook echt geen fuck hoe ze die knop noemen. Als ze het KLMN noemen is de hele discussie overbodig, dus. Deal with it.

[ afbeelding ]
Jawel pak een SNes controller maar eens in je hand, je duim valt het makkelijkst op A
Een gedicht over Maanvis
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:05:17 #9
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82317804
quote:
The controls - every single one of them - are fantastic. This machine hasn't been out of my hands since around noon, and my arms, hands, and wrists don't hurt *at all*. That takes some doing - well done on the ergonomics, DaveC. Also, I don't think I've come across such excellent game controls since the SNES' controller (which, as forum regulars may know, is my favourite controller of all time ). The "chunkiness" of the unit also helps - I really must commend the team for not trying to make the Pandora ridiculously thin. I have small hands, and found the Nintendo DS Lite and the Nintendo DSi to be far too thin to comfortably use the shoulder buttons on, for example (only those two - the original DS is exempt from this). No such problems here.

The nubs, well, what can I say that hasn't been said about them aready? They're brilliant, and TrackPoint fans will be glad to know that using them for mousing in Xfce feels fairly close to using a TrackPoint. Both of the ones on my Pandora feel and behave the same, there doesn't seem to be any variation between how they respond.

I really like the keyboard, and adjusted to the layout within a few minutes or less. Your mileage may vary, though - I switch between at least two (sometimes three) different types of keyboard during the day on a daily basis, so I did not find this difficult in the slightest. It's very much designed for thumb-typing, and it works very well for this. I foresee it being very useful for my written projects, as well as for quick notes. All of my keys respond nicely and evenly, and it's a pleasure to type with. Using the game controls as the arrow keys and Home/End/Page-up/Page-down keys is very intuitive, too.
Van één van de eerste eigenaars van de pandora, en een ontzettende SNES fan. Zij heeft er blijkbaar geen probleem mee.
quote:
No dead pixels or ghosting are present on my screen, as far as I can see, and the backlight is very easy on my eyes at its highest brightness level. It looks like every game I own was made for it, it really does. So far I've tried out Rockman & Forte, Star Fox, and Mega Man 7 for the SNES, Mega Man 2 for the NES, Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo for the C64, Mega Man for MS-DOS, High Seas Havoc and Pulseman for the Mega Drive, and, in MAME, Rockman: The Power Battle, Rockman 2: The Power Fighters, Strider, and Mappy (yes, yes, I know - there's a lot of Mega Man games in there )
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:06:17 #10
38849 Notorious_Roy
Doomed since 1889
pi_82317834
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 09:58 schreef Maanvis het volgende:

[..]

Jawel pak een SNes controller maar eens in je hand, je duim valt het makkelijkst op A
Hoe pak jij een controller vast? Er is een reden waarom je in Mario World rent met Y en springt met B...
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:06:54 #11
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82317855
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 09:53 schreef Bosbeetle het volgende:
ABXY plaatsing is gepatenteerd net als de tekentjes van de playstation. In dit geval hebben ze gekozen voor de plaatsing van de geestelijke voorganger van de pandora namelijk de GP2X. Alle knoppen op de pandora zijn trouwens gewoon te mappen hoe je het zelf wilt (opensource ftw!)
Ja dat weet ik, maar leg dat m'n zusjes en vrienden maar eens uit hoe ze moeten 'mappen' . Denk dat het ding al gauw weer aan de kant ligt 'wat een kutding, knopjes zitten op onlogische plekken'. En dan maak ik geen goede sier bij m'n vrienden met zo'n Pandora .

Maargoed, aangezien de boel gepatenteerd is begrijp ik het nu wel .
Een gedicht over Maanvis
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:08:53 #12
222937 crazy987
KROEPOEK!!!!!
pi_82317920
tvp
binnenkort maar eens bestellen
lijkt me een geweldig hackers/gamers device
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:09:49 #13
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82317948
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:06 schreef Maanvis het volgende:

[..]

Ja dat weet ik, maar leg dat m'n zusjes en vrienden maar eens uit hoe ze moeten 'mappen' . Denk dat het ding al gauw weer aan de kant ligt 'wat een kutding, knopjes zitten op onlogische plekken'. En dan maak ik geen goede sier bij m'n vrienden met zo'n Pandora .

Maargoed, aangezien de boel gepatenteerd is begrijp ik het nu wel .
Wie kijkt er uberhaubt op de knopjes als hij speelt

En de mensen van de GP32x community zijn het dus al gewend

Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:10:21 #14
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82317959
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:08 schreef crazy987 het volgende:
tvp
binnenkort maar eens bestellen
lijkt me een geweldig hackers/gamers device
Batch nummer 2 staat voorals nog gepland voor september.
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:16:02 #15
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82318171
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:09 schreef Bosbeetle het volgende:

[..]

Wie kijkt er uberhaubt op de knopjes als hij speelt
Niemand.. je drukt op de A wat eigenlijk de X is en je verwacht dat het poppetje de actie doet die bij A hoort maar het is de actie die bij X hoort .
Een gedicht over Maanvis
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:17:15 #16
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82318229
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:16 schreef Maanvis het volgende:

[..]

Niemand.. je drukt op de A wat eigenlijk de X is en je verwacht dat het poppetje de actie doet die bij A hoort maar het is de actie die bij X hoort .
Nee hoor je drukt op A wat eigenlijk de X is en dan doet je poppetje wat bij A hoort. Want de emulatoren mappen het gewoon zo als op de origineel
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:18:27 #17
38849 Notorious_Roy
Doomed since 1889
pi_82318274
Locatie > Naam

Anders zou ik dus nooit van SNES naar Xbox/360 gegaan kunnen zijn?

Nu is het overigens wel klaar hoor Maanvis. Volgende onderwerp!
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:18:38 #18
31057 jpg97
Otaku No Kenkyu
pi_82318280
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:06 schreef Notorious_Roy het volgende:

[..]

Hoe pak jij een controller vast? Er is een reden waarom je in Mario World rent met Y en springt met B...
Maar welk spel is dat nou
Op dinsdag 28 februari 2006 13:50 schreef Avery het volgende:
ik ben dan nieuw ik zie zo dat jij irritant ben jpg
PieAir
Ik denk altijd heel goed na voor ik iets stoms zeg...
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:19:12 #19
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82318300
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:18 schreef Notorious_Roy het volgende:
Volgende onderwerp!
Wanneer krijg ik dat ding nou eens
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:21:43 #20
222937 crazy987
KROEPOEK!!!!!
pi_82318397
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:10 schreef Bosbeetle het volgende:

[..]

Batch nummer 2 staat voorals nog gepland voor september.
das mooi, kan je al preorderen?
kan het hier op het werk niet zien, websens
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:22:09 #21
19440 Maanvis
Centuries in a lifetime
pi_82318412
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:18 schreef Notorious_Roy het volgende:
Locatie > Naam

Anders zou ik dus nooit van SNES naar Xbox/360 gegaan kunnen zijn?
De locatie bij de X-box is anders dan bij de Snes, omdat je duim daar op een andere plaats valt. Omdat je bij de X-box nog zo'n 'tuut' eronder hebt hangen valt je duim daar op de A.. en bij de Snes ook, maar daar valt ie dus op de meest rechter knop. Perfect uitgedacht .
quote:
Nu is het overigens wel klaar hoor Maanvis. Volgende onderwerp!
Flikker op. Ik ben een perfectionist .
Een gedicht over Maanvis
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:24:20 #22
226981 Gehenna
Volksmenner
pi_82318479
terug vind pandora
nee, jij dan!
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:25:42 #23
51684 The_Tankgirl
Kate Bush is the best
pi_82318530
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:19 schreef Bosbeetle het volgende:

[..]

Wanneer krijg ik dat ding nou eens
Alle benodigdheden voor cupcakes, taarten en andere lekkere dingen :-9 www.bakgoed.nl
  vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:28:07 #24
51684 The_Tankgirl
Kate Bush is the best
pi_82318604
Maar even ontopic: 2e batch pas in september??!!
Worden die dingen in dezelfde Chinese fabriek geproduceerd?
Ik heb gehoord dat het OP team de mallen heeft gevraagd, maar hebben ze ook een ander bedrijf voor de 2e batch?
Alle benodigdheden voor cupcakes, taarten en andere lekkere dingen :-9 www.bakgoed.nl
  Moderator vrijdag 4 juni 2010 @ 10:28:12 #25
27682 crew  Bosbeetle
terminaal verdwaald
pi_82318610
quote:
Op vrijdag 4 juni 2010 10:21 schreef crazy987 het volgende:

[..]

das mooi, kan je al preorderen?
kan het hier op het werk niet zien, websens
Nog niet hou dit topic in de gaten zodra er meer bekend over is zal ik het melden.
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')