pi_50102593

BIOGRAPHY
Stage Name: John Mayer
Birth date: October 16, 1977
Hometown: Bridgeport, CT
Nowadays: NYC & LA.
quote:
"With any trilogy," says John Mayer, "the third in the series blows it open."

On CONTINUUM the singer/songwriter/guitar slinger meets that challenge head-on. Mayer's third studio album follows the multi-platinum ROOM FOR SQUARES (2001) and HEAVIER THINGS (2003) and marks his first turn as producer. It is his most soulful, cohesive collection yet and he says it's no accident that this project is where all of his efforts, his potential, and his disparate influences fully come together.

"The night I was recognized for 'Daughters' at the Grammys was the night this record started," he says. "I knew I had bought the time to learn everything I needed before I started this one. CONTINUUM is not a shot in the dark, it's not a guesstimation. This is the first endeavor in my entire life, music or otherwise, that I did not cop out for a second on."

The last few years have seen Mayer maintaining a frantic pace. In addition to his own writing, recording, and touring, he has collaborated with icons and contemporaries alike - Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Herbie Hancock, as well as Kanye West, the Dixie Chicks, and Alicia Keys. In doing so, Mayer says his own interests have grown and his perspectives expanded.

Mayer also credits his collaboration with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino (collectively known as the John Mayer Trio) and the intimate-venue tour that produced the 2005 live album TRY! with helping to recalibrate his musical priorities. "As a songwriter, the Trio helped me focus on being more raw," he says. "As a guitar player, it helped me get a lot out of my system. If it wasn't for the Trio, CONTINUUM would have been less accessible. It let me settle up with my needs as a musician, and get to a point somewhere between the Trio record and ROOM FOR SQUARES - and that's a really good place to be."

While the Trio tour showcased Mayer's blazing fretwork, he says he learned lessons from those shows about restraint. "When I made my first record, there was no trust in space because it was all me, everything was just on those six strings," he says. "With Steve and Pino, it was all about space, using a whole different palette. When your tone is good on the guitar you need, like, four notes. The more concise and right you have it, the less you need around it."

Mayer points to one song in particular as the turning point for CONTINUUM. "I wrote 'Gravity' last summer, and it changed everything," he says. "You talk less when you trust that people understand you. 'Gravity' had to be sparse. And when I listened to it - for the first time, holding back - then it was a whole new game. That might be the most important song I ever wrote."

Armed with this outlook, Mayer knew CONTINUUM would tackle larger ideas than those that defined his previous albums. "A big challenge was writing about big themes," he says. "I'm not a better writer in terms of sitting down in front of a pad, but I'm better in terms of receiving inspiration and converting it into something 'real' quicker. I'm better equipped to deal with those moments."

With "Waiting on the World to Change", Mayer shot for something even more ambitious - something like an attempt to explain his generation's attitudes about politics. "It's meant to shed a little light on inactivity and inaction," he says, "because I don't believe that inaction is disinterest, I think inaction is preservation - nobody wants to get involved in a debate in which the rules and the facts will change so that they'll lose. So we end up with this other option, which is, I guess we'll just have to wait for things to get better.

Having just announced a co-headlining tour with Sheryl Crow to help launch CONTINUUM, Mayer is raring to start playing his new material for an audience. "This record is infinitely playable," he says. "I built so many corners into these songs I cannot wait to play them live."

Ultimately, CONTINUUM represents maturity, both musically and thematically, for John Mayer - a concept that he wasn't comfortable with until now. "A lot of these songs are about coming to terms with getting older, " he says. "My generation was never told we were going to get older. We thought we were going to hear our names on 'Romper Room' for the rest of our lives. For a long time, I was really upset about getting older, worried that things were just going to level out.

"But then I realized that everyone around me was all getting older at the same time. We're all fighting it together, and we're always going to be those kids, the first really emotionally aware generation. When I realized that, I could relax about it a little bit. And I thought that maybe I can be the guy to sing about it."
DISCOGRAPHY

Albums
Inside Wants Out (EP)
Room For Squares
Heavier Things (tevens als Dual Disc)
Any Given Thursday (live-record)
As/Is (live record)
TRY! (credit als John Mayer Trio, live-record)
Continuum (dualdisc staat gepland voor februari 2007)
The Village Sessions (EP - acoustic)

01. Waiting On The World To Change (Ben Harper version)
02. Belief (acoustic version)
03. Slow Dancing In A Burning Room (acoustic version)
04. Good Love Is On The Way (acoustic version)
05. I'm Gonna Find Another You (acoustic version)
06. In Repair (acoustic version)

DVD
Any Given Thursday

SINGLES (Nederland)
No Such Thing
Your Body is a Wonderland
Bigger Than My Body
Clarity
Daughters
Clarity (re-release)
Waiting On The World To Change
Gravity

Trivia
* De platen worden voornamelijk geplugged door 3FM.
* Sinds Waiting On The World To Change worden andere radiozenders ook wakker.
* Bij Johns eerste promotour in Nederland was hij bij Claudia de Breij in de uitzending (3FM). Hier speelde hij No Such Thing.
* Tijdens de promotour van Continuum was hij te gast bij Edwin Evers (538) en Claudia de Breij (3FM).
* Waiting On The World To Change was de eerste single van Continuum, en Gravity de tweede. Laatstgenoemde was de eerste week van december 2006 released.
* John date niet met Jessica Simpson. Of wel...of niet...of wel...of niet.
* John heeft twee Grammy's dit jaar binnengesleept; Best Male Vocal Pop Performance, Best Pop Album. In totaal heeft John 5 Grammy's inmiddels, waarvan drie voor Best Male Pop Vocal Performance ('Your Body Is A Wonderland', 'Daughters', 'Waiting On The World To Change').

Gig Geschiedenis
Melkweg Amsterdam
17 oktober 2006

SITES
www.johnmayer.com (officiele site)
www.j-mayer.org (fansite)
www.mystupidmouth.com (fan forum)
www.myspace.com/johnmayer (blog)
http://blog.honeyee.com/john/ (blog)
www.local-83.com (official fanclub)
pi_50103386
Oh grote topic starter

*TVP*
pi_50103673
Nee meer: Dammit-Ik-was-weer-de-laatste-grmbl-topic-starter
pi_50103715
Een nieuwe!

tvp
I'm an assassin and I had a job to do
pi_50104050
John Mayer, Ben Folds show off their range at The Gorge

QUINCY -- The thousands of fans who packed The Gorge for John Mayer on Saturday night were told he dreams of "Saturday Night Live" alumna Tina Fey and was inspired early in his career by opener Ben Folds.

And Mayer showed fans he can rip Stevie Ray Vaughn-style guitar licks as easily as most people play an A chord -- even on the pop songs that made him a household name.

"Who's sleeping in my tent tonight?" Mayer asked thousands of bikini-clad 20-somethings when he took the stage about 9:20 p.m. Acknowledging the raucous cheers, he started his 11-song set with "Waiting on the World to Change," the track that earned him a best male pop vocal Grammy earlier this year.

He used a Fender Stratocaster on "Belief," another song off his most recent, Grammy-winning release, "Continuum." Promising fans a mix of old songs and new, he picked the opening notes of "No Such Thing," the song Mayer said made him big from his debut full-length disc "Room for Squares."

The six underrated musicians who backed Mayer, including guitarist Robbie Macintosh, made fans forget how much they had to pay for gas to get there, adding well-timed accompaniment on originals and a cover of "I Don't Need No Doctor."

Folds' hourlong opening set included "Still Fighting It" -- a song about growing up written for his son Louis and daughter Gracie -- and a calmed, creative cover of an expletive-laced Dr. Dre rap song.

Folds had the audience sing in three-part harmony on the final song, "Not the Same," climbing on top of his grand piano and leading the audience with arm movements similar to Charlton Heston in "The Ten Commandments."

At least a third of the fans who packed The Gorge were too late for the first opening set by Rocco DeLuca and the Burden, a four-piece alternative rock band from California.

Similar to Folds, Mayer acknowledged the amphitheater's beauty -- and the sun-drenched drives fans made to get there, playing until about 11 p.m.

"This is a song I wrote about places like this," Mayer said, launching into "3x5," the first of three acoustic encore songs.

Mayer switched back to a Fender, ending with a full-band rendition of "Why Georgia."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/318339_mayer04q.html
pi_50104665
Mooie review hoor. Vet leuk om te lezen hoe Folds de boel ook opende Een uur lang nog wel... *zucht*
pi_50109597
Geen kort haar op de foto in de OP!
Kijk uit malloot, een kokosnoot
pi_50117902
Zal eens ff kijken of ik een foto kan regelen...
pi_50118007

Fijn fijn fijne man is het toch
pi_50118410
*mantra't vrolijk verder*

Als dit John is ZONDER Jessica vs. bebaarde, te lang harige, dodelijk vermoeid ogende John MET Jessica.. Dan lijkt het me duidelijk wat beter voor 'm is
pi_50120688
quote:
Op dinsdag 5 juni 2007 09:32 schreef Gosjke het volgende:
*mantra't vrolijk verder*

Als dit John is ZONDER Jessica vs. bebaarde, te lang harige, dodelijk vermoeid ogende John MET Jessica.. Dan lijkt het me duidelijk wat beter voor 'm is
pi_50159879
Nou in dat geval, we're in for a lot more of those pictures:

http://perezhilton.com/to(...)is_time_20070606.php
pi_50160555
tvp
pi_50160718
quote:
Op woensdag 6 juni 2007 12:45 schreef Jill-RMC het volgende:
Nou in dat geval, we're in for a lot more of those pictures:

http://perezhilton.com/to(...)is_time_20070606.php
Komt er dan nooit een eind aan. Of maak het definitief uit of ga verder, maar niet iedere keer dit gezeur.
  zondag 10 juni 2007 @ 14:56:14 #15
95275 Djekko
Wat nou ondertitel
pi_50297776
Zit nu Juize FM te luisteren, en hoorde opeens een intro die me bekend voor kwam.. Totdat ik opeens John Mayer hoorde, was het dus Bittersweet van Kanye West Voor het eerst nu helemaal gehoord, mooi nummer! Wachten op het moment dat Graduation Day uitkomt dus.
Amsterdam had het, Eindhoven heeft het en Rotterdam heeft geen flauw benul waar het over gaat
pi_50307907
quote:
Op zondag 10 juni 2007 14:56 schreef Djekko het volgende:
Zit nu Juize FM te luisteren, en hoorde opeens een intro die me bekend voor kwam.. Totdat ik opeens John Mayer hoorde, was het dus Bittersweet van Kanye West Voor het eerst nu helemaal gehoord, mooi nummer! Wachten op het moment dat Graduation Day uitkomt dus.
Oh?!
pi_50308242
Gevonden! Fijn fijn fijn... al hebben ze john's stem nogal, mja, zeg maar, kapot gemixt kun je wel stellen... En het blijft Kanye West...
  zondag 10 juni 2007 @ 20:57:09 #18
179798 Rijstbal
Ik heb geen bami
pi_50309453
Gaat dit een TMF worden?
#FreeTrapz #FreeFreire #FreeOzz #FreeRollsreus
pi_50309538
Ben bang van wel ja...
  zondag 10 juni 2007 @ 21:13:32 #20
179798 Rijstbal
Ik heb geen bami
pi_50310065
Dat zou ik niet ertg vinden
#FreeTrapz #FreeFreire #FreeOzz #FreeRollsreus
pi_50310074
quote:
Op zondag 10 juni 2007 20:29 schreef Numbie het volgende:
Gevonden! Fijn fijn fijn... al hebben ze john's stem nogal, mja, zeg maar, kapot gemixt kun je wel stellen... En het blijft Kanye West...
Z'n stem is idd wel erg gemixt, maar hij is toch wel vet. Als het maar niet op TMF komt.
  zondag 10 juni 2007 @ 21:49:49 #22
95275 Djekko
Wat nou ondertitel
pi_50311694
Vet, heb hem nu ook! Kanye kan alleen het zingen beter overlaten aan John (minuut 2:00)
Amsterdam had het, Eindhoven heeft het en Rotterdam heeft geen flauw benul waar het over gaat
pi_50312150
Linkje iemand subtiel of moet ik gaan zoeken?
  zondag 10 juni 2007 @ 22:02:50 #24
95275 Djekko
Wat nou ondertitel
pi_50312307
Kanyetalk.
pi_50312537
Celebs Love Their John Mayer
Sun, 10 June 2007

Celebrities apparently came out in droves to see Your Body is A Wonderland singerJohn Mayer in concert last night.

Not only did Shakira and Penelope Cruz catch Mayer in concert at Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on Saturday, so did Heroes co-star pals Hayden Panettiere and Zachary Quinto and former Desperate Housewives gardener Jesse Metcalfe, who appears to go from hot to not in five seconds flat.

All the celebrities made their way to party central post-concert, hitting up Parc nightclub for a little after-party bash for Mayer.

20+ pictures inside of celebs at Mayer’s concert… More Here! »
http://justjared.buzznet.(...)r-concert/#more-5691
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')