abonnement Unibet Coolblue
  zaterdag 3 december 2005 @ 19:51:06 #1
56690 DaisyDuke
In Coffee We Trust!
pi_32787977
Belle & Sebastian liefhebbers, hier verder neuzelen!

quote:
A band that takes its name from a French children's television series about a boy and his dog would almost have to be precious, and to be certain, Belle & Sebastian are precious. But precious can be a damning word, and Belle & Sebastian don't have the negative qualities that the word connotes -- they are private but not insular, pretty but not wimpy; they make gorgeous, delicate melodies sound full-bodied. Led by guitarist/vocalist Stuart Murdoch, the seven-piece band has an intimate, majestic sound that is equal parts folk-rock and '60s pop, but Murdoch's gift for not only whimsy and surrealism, but also for odd, unsettling lyrical detail keeps the songs grounded in a tangible reality.

Based in Glasgow, Scotland, Belle & Sebastian released their first two albums in 1996 at the peak of the chamber pop movement. At first, some critics in Britain's music weeklies tied the band into the subgenre, yet the group was too pretty, too delicate, to bear that label. Through their first two years of public existence, the band shielded their personalities, submitting publicity photos featuring a girl that wasn't in the band and reluctantly posing for photo shoots. Furthermore, they performed in odd venues, playing not only the standard coffeehouses and cafes, but also homes, church halls, and libraries.

The idiosyncratic approach to building their career isn't surprising given Murdoch's approach toward beginning a band. A longtime fan of Felt, Murdoch left Glasgow for London in the early '90s in hopes of finding the group's leader, Lawrence Hayward, but he never found his idol. Upon his return to Glasgow he enrolled in university and he began writing songs and short stories. While at school, he took a music business course where he decided to form a band and release a record for his final project (he had tried to form a band before to no success). For the project, he assembled the seven-piece Belle & Sebastian, featuring himself on guitar and vocals, choosing and recruiting members by instinct in a local all-night cafe in late 1995. He eventually found Sarah Martin (violin), Stevie Jackson (guitar), Chris Geddes (keyboards), Stuart David (bass), Richard Colburn (drums), and Isobel Campbell (cello). All seven members were college students, and all agreed that the idea behind the band was to stay on a small scale, to keep it as a project and not let the band run their lives; they even assumed they would release two albums and break up.

In May of 1996, Belle & Sebastian self-released their debut album, Tigermilk, on Electric Honey Records. Only 1,000 copies of the album, which was only pressed on vinyl, were released, but it unexpectedly became a sensation, earning terrific word of mouth throughout England. As a result, the band became slightly more than a school project -- it became an actual band. If You're Feeling Sinister, released on the independent Jeepster label, followed in November of 1996. By the time the album was released in America on the EMI subsidiary The Enclave, it had earned considerable critical acclaim in the U.K. -- not only from music weeklies, but from newspapers like The Sunday Times and magazines like The Face -- and a large cult following; by some accounts, Tigermilk was being sold for as much as 75 pounds. Over the course of 1997, word of mouth continued to grow in America, even as the band pulled out of an American tour because The Enclave went bankrupt and closed.

As the band cult continued to build in 1997, Belle & Sebastian released three EPs -- Dog on Wheels (May), Lazy Line Painter Jane (July), and 3.. 6.. 9 Seconds of Light (October). Each subsequent EP placed higher on the indie charts and received great critical acclaim. By the end of the year, the group finalized an American deal with Matador Records, issuing The Boy With the Arab Strap in September 1998. The following year saw the eagerly anticipated wide re-release of Tigermilk, the album that started it all. Following completion of 2000's Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant, Stuart David left Belle & Sebastian to focus full-time on his solo project, Looper. In 2001, the group released two EPs -- Jonathan David and I'm Waking Up to Us -- and recorded the soundtrack for Todd Solondz's film Storytelling. Just before the soundtrack's release in spring 2002, Belle & Sebastian embarked on a comprehensive tour of the United States and Canada before returning to Europe for the summer festival season. Midway through the tour, Isobel Campbell left the band citing the usual differences. Another major change that took place soon after was the band leaving Jeepster and Matador to sign with Rough Trade, with their next record, late 2003's Dear Catastrophe Waitress, produced by the inimitable Trevor Horn (who also produced Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Yes and score of others). The record spawned the brilliant "Step Into My Office" and "I'm a Cuckoo" singles, the latter of which was the group's biggest UK hit reaching #14 in early 2004. After a long worldwide tour which found the band reaching new levels of success, they retired to Scotland and began preparing for the recording of their fifth album.
... en dit album gaat "The Life Pursuit" heten en wordt 6 februari 2006 gereleased! Een voorproefje:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/belle_and_sebastian/music.html

Het vorige topic: http://forum.fok.nl/topic/47369/1/50
1,000,000 demons can't be wrong...
pi_32788232
Ik ken alleen Dog on Wheels

Wel erg lekker nummer trouwens
  zaterdag 3 december 2005 @ 20:14:15 #3
52164 pfaf
pfief, pfaf, pfoef!
pi_32791907
Dress Up In You
Aldus.
  zaterdag 3 december 2005 @ 22:36:58 #5
135281 Brahimov
They misunderestimated me
pi_32793178
Mijn Top 5 B&S songs:

1. Lazy line painter Jane
2. This is just a modern rock song
3. Desperation made a fool of me
4. Seymour Stein
5. Electronic renaissance

met een eervolle vermelding voor The Twelve Days Of Christmas

[ Bericht 1% gewijzigd door Brahimov op 04-12-2005 00:20:37 ]
"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again"
pi_32801164
Top Vijf (P)

1) Don't leave the light on Baby
2) Your Cover's Blown
3) Expectations
4) The Boy with the Arab Strap (live versie van Fans Only dvd)
5) Judy is a Dick Slap

Spontante top 5. Er mist zoveel (Lazy painter Jane bijvoorbeeld). Wel interessant trouwens dat je Seymour Stein in je top 5 hebt Brahimov. Vind ik persoonlijk ook een geweldig nummmer (was tevens mijn eerste kennismaking met B&S), maar veel mensen vind het dan weer helemaal niks.

The Life Pursuit weet nog steeds te boeien, al heb ik het gisteravond toch even ingewisseld voor iets anders. Wilde het niet meteen 'dood' draaien al voordat de eigenlijke cd uit is.
pi_32801872
Mijn B & S top 5 zou pakweg zo zijn:

1. Jonathan David
2. Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
3. I'm Waking Up To Us
4. Lazy Line Painter Jane
5. Seeing Other People

(en dan van 6 t/m 10 pakweg The Loneliness Of A Middle Distance Runner, Marx And Engels, Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie, Simple Things en String Bean Jean. Hoewel Dogs On Wheels, Like Dylan In The Movies, A Century Of Fakers en The State I Am In ook top zijn)
ASWH, de trots van de regio
www.thuisuiteten.nl
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 11:27:23 #8
135281 Brahimov
pi_32802062
Ook mijn Top5 is erg spontaan. B&S hebben ook zoveel moois gemaakt... Ik ben vooral op de kippenvelfactor afgegaan, waardoor ook Seymour Stein op de lijst belandde. LLPJ is wel onbedreigd #1, trouwens.
Ik had even een gewetensconflict m.b.t. The Life Pursuit, maar heb dat opgelost door mezelf plechtig te beloven dat ik hem ook 'gewoon' ga kopen als hij uit is. Ik heb hem inmiddels op m'n i-Podje geparkeerd en ga er straks eens goed naar luisteren. Ik ben zeer benieuwd.
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 15:14:24 #9
52164 pfaf
pfief, pfaf, pfoef!
pi_32808278
quote:
Op zaterdag 3 december 2005 21:59 schreef Z het volgende:
Dress Up In You
Goed nummer.
Ik vind Song For Sunshine een kut-nummer trouwens. Een flinke smet.
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 16:32:58 #10
55350 Reena
Angelcrusher
pi_32810514
Ik heb alleen het album Dear Catstrophe Waitress en dat vind ik wel een lekker album.
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 18:41:35 #11
135281 Brahimov
pi_32813802
Highlights van TLP, na 2x luisteren:

The Blues Are Still Blue
Dress Up In You
Sukie In The Graveyard
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 18:50:48 #12
135281 Brahimov
pi_32814005
quote:
Op zondag 4 december 2005 16:32 schreef Reena het volgende:
Ik heb alleen het album Dear Catstrophe Waitress en dat vind ik wel een lekker album.
Koop gerust ook ' If You're Feeling Sinister' En 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'. En 'Push Barman To Open Old Wounds' (de dubbelaar met de veelal briljante 7 EP's).
En 'Tigermilk' is ook heel goed. En... well, you get the idea.
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 19:02:25 #13
55350 Reena
Angelcrusher
pi_32814313
quote:
Op zondag 4 december 2005 18:50 schreef Brahimov het volgende:

[..]

Koop gerust ook ' If You're Feeling Sinister' En 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'. En 'Push Barman To Open Old Wounds' (de dubbelaar met de veelal briljante 7 EP's).
En 'Tigermilk' is ook heel goed. En... well, you get the idea.
Haha ok, gewoon alles dus?
In ieder geval bedankt...soms weet je niet zeker of de andere albums wel leuk zijn...
Weer een aantal cd's die op mijn verlanglijstje mogen.
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 19:06:12 #14
135281 Brahimov
pi_32814414
quote:
Op zondag 4 december 2005 19:02 schreef Reena het volgende:

[..]

Haha ok, gewoon alles dus?
In ieder geval bedankt...soms weet je niet zeker of de andere albums wel leuk zijn...
Weer een aantal cd's die op mijn verlanglijstje mogen.
Ik zou 'Storytelling' wel even vermijden, trouwens
  zondag 4 december 2005 @ 19:11:09 #15
55350 Reena
Angelcrusher
pi_32814554
quote:
Op zondag 4 december 2005 19:06 schreef Brahimov het volgende:

[..]

Ik zou 'Storytelling' wel even vermijden, trouwens
Ok, bedankt voor de tip!!
pi_32841969
Storytelling moet je alleen aanschaffen als je echt alles van ze wilt hebben, wat mij betreft.
ASWH, de trots van de regio
www.thuisuiteten.nl
  maandag 5 december 2005 @ 19:54:13 #17
52164 pfaf
pfief, pfaf, pfoef!
pi_32851494
Ik vind Song for Sunshine best mooi eigenlijk. Beetje apart misschien, maar zeker niet slecht!
pi_32951570
Belle and Sebastian .
I bet you are flying inside.
  Heeft over alles een mening 2022 vrijdag 9 december 2005 @ 19:10:19 #20
31936 Dr_Flash
CubeMeister
pi_32951602
tvp
Salivili hipput tupput tapput äppyt tipput hilijalleen
  vrijdag 9 december 2005 @ 19:20:24 #21
56690 DaisyDuke
In Coffee We Trust!
pi_32951847
quote:
Op maandag 5 december 2005 19:54 schreef pfaf het volgende:
The Life Pursuit wordt met de dag beter.
Jazeker!

Iemand het album van Isobel Campbell en Mark Lanegan al gehoord?
pi_32951925
Ik heb 'For The Fans' gister gezien, was leuk. Is Isobel en Mark net zo zoet als Isobel alleen?
Aldus.
pi_32952066
quote:
Op vrijdag 9 december 2005 19:20 schreef DaisyDuke het volgende:

[..]

Jazeker!

Iemand het album van Isobel Campbell en Mark Lanegan al gehoord?
Ik niet, maar ik denk dat ik hem binnenkort aanschaf voor mijn vader.
  vrijdag 9 december 2005 @ 19:40:30 #24
56690 DaisyDuke
In Coffee We Trust!
pi_32952343
quote:
Op vrijdag 9 december 2005 19:28 schreef Auticia het volgende:

[..]

Ik niet, maar ik denk dat ik hem binnenkort aanschaf voor mijn vader.
Volgens mij is ie alleen maar te downloaden.

En het album is niet zozeer 'zoet', als wel heel donker. Behoorlijke Lanegan invloed dus. Kan er nog geen goed oordeel over vellen. Maar de eerste indruk is dat het of een briljante groeiplaat is, of een enorme saaie draak...
pi_32952422
quote:
Op vrijdag 9 december 2005 19:40 schreef DaisyDuke het volgende:

[..]

Volgens mij is ie alleen maar te downloaden.
Oh! !
quote:
En het album is niet zozeer 'zoet', als wel heel donker. Behoorlijke Lanegan invloed dus. Kan er nog geen goed oordeel over vellen. Maar de eerste indruk is dat het of een briljante groeiplaat is, of een enorme saaie draak...
Ben benieuwd!

Edit: Gevonden .
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')