pi_44107972

BIOGRAPHY
Stage Name: John Mayer
Birth date: October 16, 1977
Hometown: Bridgeport, CT, USA
Nowadays: NYC & LA.
quote:
"With any trilogy," says John Mayer, "the third in the series blows it open."

On CONTINUUM the singer/songwriter/guitar slinger meets that challenge head-on. Mayer's third studio album follows the multi-platinum ROOM FOR SQUARES (2001) and HEAVIER THINGS (2003) and marks his first turn as producer. It is his most soulful, cohesive collection yet and he says it's no accident that this project is where all of his efforts, his potential, and his disparate influences fully come together.

"The night I was recognized for 'Daughters' at the Grammys was the night this record started," he says. "I knew I had bought the time to learn everything I needed before I started this one. CONTINUUM is not a shot in the dark, it's not a guesstimation. This is the first endeavor in my entire life, music or otherwise, that I did not cop out for a second on."

The last few years have seen Mayer maintaining a frantic pace. In addition to his own writing, recording, and touring, he has collaborated with icons and contemporaries alike - Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Herbie Hancock, as well as Kanye West, the Dixie Chicks, and Alicia Keys. In doing so, Mayer says his own interests have grown and his perspectives expanded.

Mayer also credits his collaboration with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino (collectively known as the John Mayer Trio) and the intimate-venue tour that produced the 2005 live album TRY! with helping to recalibrate his musical priorities. "As a songwriter, the Trio helped me focus on being more raw," he says. "As a guitar player, it helped me get a lot out of my system. If it wasn't for the Trio, CONTINUUM would have been less accessible. It let me settle up with my needs as a musician, and get to a point somewhere between the Trio record and ROOM FOR SQUARES - and that's a really good place to be."

While the Trio tour showcased Mayer's blazing fretwork, he says he learned lessons from those shows about restraint. "When I made my first record, there was no trust in space because it was all me, everything was just on those six strings," he says. "With Steve and Pino, it was all about space, using a whole different palette. When your tone is good on the guitar you need, like, four notes. The more concise and right you have it, the less you need around it."

Mayer points to one song in particular as the turning point for CONTINUUM. "I wrote 'Gravity' last summer, and it changed everything," he says. "You talk less when you trust that people understand you. 'Gravity' had to be sparse. And when I listened to it - for the first time, holding back - then it was a whole new game. That might be the most important song I ever wrote."

Armed with this outlook, Mayer knew CONTINUUM would tackle larger ideas than those that defined his previous albums. "A big challenge was writing about big themes," he says. "I'm not a better writer in terms of sitting down in front of a pad, but I'm better in terms of receiving inspiration and converting it into something 'real' quicker. I'm better equipped to deal with those moments."

With "Waiting on the World to Change", Mayer shot for something even more ambitious - something like an attempt to explain his generation's attitudes about politics. "It's meant to shed a little light on inactivity and inaction," he says, "because I don't believe that inaction is disinterest, I think inaction is preservation – nobody wants to get involved in a debate in which the rules and the facts will change so that they'll lose. So we end up with this other option, which is, I guess we'll just have to wait for things to get better.

Having just announced a co-headlining tour with Sheryl Crow to help launch CONTINUUM, Mayer is raring to start playing his new material for an audience. "This record is infinitely playable," he says. "I built so many corners into these songs I cannot wait to play them live."

Ultimately, CONTINUUM represents maturity, both musically and thematically, for John Mayer – a concept that he wasn't comfortable with until now. "A lot of these songs are about coming to terms with getting older," he says. "My generation was never told we were going to get older. We thought we were going to hear our names on 'Romper Room' for the rest of our lives. For a long time, I was really upset about getting older, worried that things were just going to level out.

"But then I realized that everyone around me was all getting older at the same time. We're all fighting it together, and we're always going to be those kids, the first really emotionally aware generation. When I realized that, I could relax about it a little bit. And I thought that maybe I can be the guy to sing about it."
DISCOGRAPHY
Albums
Inside Wants Out (EP)
Room For Squares
Heavier Things (tevens als Dual Disc)
Any Given Thursday (live-record)
As/Is (live record)
TRY! (credit als John Mayer Trio, live-record)
Continuum

The Village Sessions (EP - acoustic) (Release 11 December 2006)
01. Waiting On The World To Change (Ben Harper version)
02. Belief (acoustic version)
03. Slow Dancing In A Burning Room (acoustic version)
04. Good Love Is On The Way (acoustic version)
05. I'm Gonna Find Another You (acoustic version)
06. In Repair (acoustic version)

DVD
Any Given Thursday

SINGLES (Nederland)
No Such Thing
Your Body is a Wonderland
Bigger Than My Body
Clarity
Daughters
Clarity (re-release)
Waiting On The World To Change
Gravity

Trivia
* De platen worden voornamelijk geplugged door 3FM.
* Sinds Waiting On The World To Change worden andere radiozenders ook wakker.
* Johns eerste promo in Nederland was bij Claudia de Breij in de uitzending (3FM).
* Tijdens de promotour van Continuum was hij te gast bij Edwin Evers (538) en Claudia de Breij (3FM).
* Waiting On The World To Change is de eerste single van het album Continuum.
* Gravity is de tweede single en was de eerste week van december released.

Gig Geschiedenis

Melkweg, Amsterdam
17 oktober 2006

Setlist:
Belief
Vultures
Stormy Monday
Why Georgia
Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Good Love is On the Way
Daughters
I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Waiting on the World to Change
Gravity
Clarity
No Such Thing
-- toegift --
Dreaming With A Broken Heart
In Repair

SITES

www.johnmayer.com (officiele site)
www.j-mayer.org (fansite)
www.mystupidmouth.com (fan forum)
www.myspace.com/johnmayer
www.local-83.com (official fanclub)
pi_44108026
Laat ik nou toevallig John Mayer aan het luisteren zijn.
Een van m'n favoriete nummers zijn Clarity, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Vultures, en Belief.
pi_44108032
tvp
pi_44108040
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 16:40 schreef Robzilla het volgende:

[..]

Is dat DE blackie?
Nee, maar wel één uit de serie kopieën die exclusief onlangs is uitgekomen, waarvan er 185 (van de 300 in totaal) in Amerika zijn, en ongeveer een fortuin per stuk kosten...
pi_44108068
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 17:21 schreef Doodle het volgende:
Een van m'n favoriete nummers zijn Clarity, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Vultures, en Belief.
Dat is niet één Maar ben het wel met je eens; zijn zeker topnummers van hem. Met Stop This Train erbij heb je ong. daar ook mijn favo vijf te pakken denk ik
pi_44108143
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 17:23 schreef Numbie het volgende:

[..]

Dat is niet één Maar ben het wel met je eens; zijn zeker topnummers van hem. Met Stop This Train erbij heb je ong. daar ook mijn favo vijf te pakken denk ik
Oeps, ik vond het te moeilijk er 1 te kiezen dus ik dacht kies ik er gelijk vier
pi_44108195
"Sinds Waiting On The World To Change worden andere radiozenders ook wakker."

Van het vorige album werd het nummer Daughters ook regelmatig gedraaid op verschillende stations.
pi_44108256
Het is jammer dat er niet meer van hem gedraaid word, voordat ik waiting for a world to change had gehoord had ik gek genoeg nog nooit van hem gehoord, maar toen ik z'n andere nummers ging luisteren zaten er zat nummers tussen die nog veel beter waren dan wat ik regelmatig op de radio hoorde.
pi_44108351
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 17:28 schreef Evert1987 het volgende:
"Sinds Waiting On The World To Change worden andere radiozenders ook wakker."

Van het vorige album werd het nummer Daughters ook regelmatig gedraaid op verschillende stations.
Ja, maar dat nummer had verder voor hem geen windeieren gelegd. Het was een eendagsvliegshit jammer genoeg. Dankzij WOTWTC is er ook veel aandacht voor het album Continuum, terwijl dat bij Daughters totaal niet het geval was
pi_44109105
Jeeh, het volgende topic alweer.

Ik begin wel steeds meer de vooruitgang van John te zien in vergelijking met zijn eerste albums. Continuum is vele malen sterker dan een Room For Squares. En daar stonden al veel goede nummers op. Maar als album staat Continuum beter.

Mijn favo nummers van John:
In repair, Slow dancing, Belief, Wheel en My stupid mouth. De laatste twee vooral om dat de tekst me erg aanspreekt. Vind het lastig om vooral van Heavier Things maar ook in mindere mate van RFS een favoriet nummer te kiezen.
pi_44109379
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 17:22 schreef Numbie het volgende:

[..]

Nee, maar wel één uit de serie kopieën die exclusief onlangs is uitgekomen, waarvan er 185 (van de 300 in totaal) in Amerika zijn, en ongeveer een fortuin per stuk kosten...
ah een RI dus, ik schrok al..
pi_44109493
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 17:21 schreef Doodle het volgende:
Slow Dancing in a Burning Room vooral
I'm an assassin and I had a job to do
pi_44109665
quote:
Op zondag 3 december 2006 18:15 schreef Robzilla het volgende:

[..]

ah een RI dus, ik schrok al..
Deze om precies te zijn... velly nice

[ Bericht 10% gewijzigd door Numbie op 03-12-2006 18:37:56 ]
pi_44111662
De radiozenders vinden het tegenwoordig belangrijker om frans bauer en jan smit te draaien . Ik snap die hype rond die nederlandstalige muziek niet hoor, paar jaar terug wilde nog niemand met hen geindentificeerd worden. John is juist degene die meer radioaandacht verdiend
pi_44111728
Ik luister ook alleen maar 3FM, en af en toe Arrow Jazz als ik in de auto een eind moet rijden of zo... Voor de rest is het gewauwel en shittymuziek..
pi_44118562
Oeh Gravity nieuwe single? Jeeeeeej! (tvp )
Kijk uit malloot, een kokosnoot
pi_44123752
Tuhvuhpuh
pi_44125522
Lang leve internet op het werk!

Okay even wat opmerkingen:

- Aaaawww wat lief (Duke)
- Mm vind Gravity eigenlijk niet leuk als single. Das zeg maar het nummer wat ik op de cd ook al skip omdat ik m ooit al eens doodgedraaid heb.
- Arrow Jazz is ernstig relax voor autorijden.
- ik had nog iets maar ben het vergeten....
pi_44129820
Idd Jill Zit op stage, en heb nog geen toegang tot bepaald dingen dus nu lekker ff tijd om bij te Mayeren

Nieuwe blog up; ziet er naar uit de beste man is begonnen met ideetjes voor de volgende plaat...
pi_44132047
quote:
I usually keep my evenings free so that I may buy home furnishings at sensible prices, but seeing as I have ties to both underwriters of the event, I thought I'd stop by.
ROTFLMAO!
pi_44140147
Schaamteloze tvp, en ik blijf wachten tot dat het bericht verschijnt dat hij weer naar Nederland komt!
Koning.
pi_44146761
Zodra er ook maar iets op local-83 staat zal ik het melden
pi_44155841
Okay of ik begin echt dingen te horen...wishful thinking enzo...maar ik dacht toch echt dat de DJ van het radiostation wat hier op staat zei: Nu eerst 3 Doors Down en straks John Mayer met de nieuwe single Gravity.

We wachten even af.

*zingt nog even leuk mee met Kryptonite*
pi_44155871
*shock*

GRAVITY!!!

Echt wtf is dit voor freaky snelheid? Zitten die soms op John's blog?
pi_44155923
Okay we kunnen we de bedankjes mailen naar Edwin Evers van radio 538
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')