pi_43322037

BIOGRAPHY
Stage Name: John Mayer
Birthdate: October 16, 1977
Sign: Libra
Hometown: Bridgeport, CT, USA
quote:
"With any trilogy," says John Mayer, "the third in the series blows it open."

On CONTINUUM the singer/songwriter/guitar slinger meets that challenge head-on. Mayer's third studio album follows the multi-platinum ROOM FOR SQUARES (2001) and HEAVIER THINGS (2003) and marks his first turn as producer. It is his most soulful, cohesive collection yet and he says it's no accident that this project is where all of his efforts, his potential, and his disparate influences fully come together.

"The night I was recognized for 'Daughters' at the Grammys was the night this record started," he says. "I knew I had bought the time to learn everything I needed before I started this one. CONTINUUM is not a shot in the dark, it's not a guesstimation. This is the first endeavor in my entire life, music or otherwise, that I did not cop out for a second on."

The last few years have seen Mayer maintaining a frantic pace. In addition to his own writing, recording, and touring, he has collaborated with icons and contemporaries alike - Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Herbie Hancock, as well as Kanye West, the Dixie Chicks, and Alicia Keys. In doing so, Mayer says his own interests have grown and his perspectives expanded.

Mayer also credits his collaboration with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino (collectively known as the John Mayer Trio) and the intimate-venue tour that produced the 2005 live album TRY! with helping to recalibrate his musical priorities. "As a songwriter, the Trio helped me focus on being more raw," he says. "As a guitar player, it helped me get a lot out of my system. If it wasn't for the Trio, CONTINUUM would have been less accessible. It let me settle up with my needs as a musician, and get to a point somewhere between the Trio record and ROOM FOR SQUARES - and that's a really good place to be."

While the Trio tour showcased Mayer's blazing fretwork, he says he learned lessons from those shows about restraint. "When I made my first record, there was no trust in space because it was all me, everything was just on those six strings," he says. "With Steve and Pino, it was all about space, using a whole different palette. When your tone is good on the guitar you need, like, four notes. The more concise and right you have it, the less you need around it."

Mayer points to one song in particular as the turning point for CONTINUUM. "I wrote 'Gravity' last summer, and it changed everything," he says. "You talk less when you trust that people understand you. 'Gravity' had to be sparse. And when I listened to it - for the first time, holding back - then it was a whole new game. That might be the most important song I ever wrote."

Armed with this outlook, Mayer knew CONTINUUM would tackle larger ideas than those that defined his previous albums. "A big challenge was writing about big themes," he says. "I'm not a better writer in terms of sitting down in front of a pad, but I'm better in terms of receiving inspiration and converting it into something 'real' quicker. I'm better equipped to deal with those moments."

With "Waiting on the World to Change", Mayer shot for something even more ambitious - something like an attempt to explain his generation's attitudes about politics. "It's meant to shed a little light on inactivity and inaction," he says, "because I don't believe that inaction is disinterest, I think inaction is preservation – nobody wants to get involved in a debate in which the rules and the facts will change so that they'll lose. So we end up with this other option, which is, I guess we'll just have to wait for things to get better.

Having just announced a co-headlining tour with Sheryl Crow to help launch CONTINUUM, Mayer is raring to start playing his new material for an audience. "This record is infinitely playable," he says. "I built so many corners into these songs I cannot wait to play them live."

Ultimately, CONTINUUM represents maturity, both musically and thematically, for John Mayer – a concept that he wasn't comfortable with until now. "A lot of these songs are about coming to terms with getting older," he says. "My generation was never told we were going to get older. We thought we were going to hear our names on 'Romper Room' for the rest of our lives. For a long time, I was really upset about getting older, worried that things were just going to level out.

"But then I realized that everyone around me was all getting older at the same time. We're all fighting it together, and we're always going to be those kids, the first really emotionally aware generation. When I realized that, I could relax about it a little bit. And I thought that maybe I can be the guy to sing about it."
DISCOGRAPHY
Albums
Inside Wants Out (EP)
Room For Squares
Heavier Things (tevens als Dual Disc)
Any Given Thursday (live-record)
As/Is (live record)
TRY! (credit als John Mayer Trio, live-record)
Continuum
The Village Sessions (EP - akoestisch)
quote:
01. Waiting On The World To Change (Ben Harper version)
02. Belief (acoustic version)
03. Slow Dancing In A Burning Room (acoustic version)
04. Good Love Is On The Way (acoustic version)
05. I'm Gonna Find Another You (acoustic version)
06. In Repair (acoustic version)
DVD
Any Given Thursday

Singles (Nederland)
No Such Thing
Your Body is a Wonderland
Bigger Than My Body
Clarity
Daughters
Clarity (re-release)
Waiting On The World To Change

Trivia
* De platen worden voornamelijk geplugged door 3FM.
* Sinds Waiting On The World To Change worden andere radiozenders ook wakker.
* John is eerste promo in Nederland was bij Claudia de Breij in de uitzending (3FM).
* Tijdens de promotour van Continuum was hij te gast bij Edwin Evers (538) en Claudia de Breij (3FM).
* Waiting On The World To Change is de eerste single van het album Continuum.
* Waiting on The World To Change is gebruikt in o.a. het RTL programma Eigen Huis & Tuin en het Net5 programma Het Blok, daar was ook Gravity in te horen.

Gig Geschiedenis
Melkweg, Amsterdam
17 oktober 2006

Setlist:
Belief
Vultures
Stormy Monday
Why Georgia
Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Good Love is On the Way
Daughters
I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Waiting on the World to Change
Gravity
Clarity
No Such Thing
-- toegift --
Dreaming With A Broken Heart
In Repair

Geruchten
Komt in de lente terug richting Europa voor meer optredens.

SITES
www.johnmayer.com (officiele site)
www.j-mayer.org (fansite)
www.mystupidmouth.com (fan forum)
www.myspace.com/johnmayer
www.local-83.com (official fanclub)

[ Bericht 1% gewijzigd door nipeng op 07-11-2006 22:50:54 ]
pi_43322063
Super Apfel! Alleen is die pic toch echt een beetje te groot
pi_43322308
pi_43322399
Kijk das beter

Geloof dat de laatste opmerking betrekking had op www.strippedmusic.com waar je nu dus nieuwe performances kunt zien van John...
pi_43323157
Is The Village Sessions die acoustische cd waar hij het net voor de release van Continuum over had? Ik vind zes nummers zo verrotte weinig.
pi_43323256
Yup, 6 is verrot weinig ja, maar hij zal dan ook geen 17 euro gaan kosten denk ik.
Die Maroon 5 EP van vorig jaar lag rond de 10 euro.
pi_43323368
De nummers die er op staan zijn wel mijn favo ongeveer. Maar ik denk niet dat ik hem ga halen.
pi_43323495
quote:
Op dinsdag 7 november 2006 13:15 schreef Numbie het volgende:
Kijk das beter

Geloof dat de laatste opmerking betrekking had op www.strippedmusic.com waar je nu dus nieuwe performances kunt zien van John...

Ge-wel-dig. Ik heb serieus groot respect voor John Mayer!!
Dat interview op het laatst is ook mooi, hoe John over muziek denkt niet zozeer als een commercieel product maar als een soort reis door allerlei tonen. Zo luister ik ook altijd naar muziek, heel intens is dat.

* Lunar denkt soms een beetje raar over muziek, daarvoor is hij dan ook zwaar verslaafd

Vrienden van me worden soms helemaal gek omdat ik overal muziek bij haal .
pi_43324319
Vraagje was de "vers" in de topic titel?

En uiteraard TVP :p
pi_43325249
ver-schijnt in december

Moeten ze op Fok maar een warning maken dat de titel te lang is
pi_43325429
Owkee...zoiets dacht ik al. Maar denk vraag het toch maar ff
pi_43341402
Ow.. en we waren alweer bij een nieuw deel!

Strippedmusic

En TVP of course
  dinsdag 7 november 2006 @ 22:53:07 #13
11502 nipeng
The last ride is free
pi_43343056
Ik heb een url uit de OP moeten weghalen. Deze site bevat torrents e.d. en is niet toegestaan binnen de policy,
  dinsdag 7 november 2006 @ 23:31:43 #14
17113 annoh
Beating hearts baby
pi_43344936
Alweer een nieuwe cd! Ik ben altijd wel fan van akoestisch, ben benieuwd!
I'm just a girl in the world.
pi_43347960
quote:
Op dinsdag 7 november 2006 22:53 schreef nipeng het volgende:
Ik heb een url uit de OP moeten weghalen. Deze site bevat torrents e.d. en is niet toegestaan binnen de policy,
vraagje daarover hè; geldt dat uberhaupt voor alle torrents? Want John's eigen policy stelt namelijk dat er wel degelijk getaped mag worden tijdens zijn shows en dat die ook verspreid mogen worden via het web...
pi_43350277
Zo hey, de torrentpolitie heeft dit topic ook gevonden na 11 delen.
pi_43364361
Ja idd zeg... Nu kunnen wij dus weer elke keer die links gaan lopen posten voor mensen die graag meer willen hebben; of natuurlijk subtiele hints geven of zo...
pi_43384407
Sta ik net op, loop ik naar beneden om te douchen, hoor ik ineens keihard WOTWTC door het huis heen. Had mn zusje dr wekkerradio per ongeluk op maximaal volume gezet. Voor mij was het wel lekker wakker worden, voor de rest die nog liep te slapen wat minder .

John kijkt op die foto in de OP trouwens alsof ie moet niezen
pi_43386793
Hahaha, nou je het zegt

Dat is idd heerlijk wakker worden zeg! Bij mij doet het zonnetje in huis ook al een hele hoop...
pi_43387025
Ok, mag ik ff sneaky glimlachen?
quote:
JAMES MORRISON

(foto van james)

Once every year (and that's being optimistic) you might hear something like this. It's not on iTunes in the US yet, and his site is down for the time being...But you'll be hearing a lot of this guy in the near future, I know it. Unless he is a total kook and can't keep his pants on in interviews, he'll do just fine. Check him out now at his myspace page. Listen to "You Give Me Something"... Live acoustic. The must-have-before-they-call-it-the-must-have-record-of-the-year-record-of-the-year. I'm just here to help.

POSTED BY JOHN MAYER AT 11:51 PM FROM TOKYO, JAPAN
En het lijkt erop dat Belief toch echt de nieuwe single gaat worden; zie www.johnmayer.com/news
pi_43393522
waaaaaa Claudia draait Stop this Train !
pi_43393847
Claudia
pi_43395482
Zo! Dat is nogal wat; beetje dubbele gevoelens hier... Weet niet precies waarom, lol.

Anyway, wat vinden jullie van Belief als tweede single? Twee half-politiek correcte nummers achter elkaar als single; proberen ze John als volwassen artiest op deze manier neer te zetten of zo?
pi_43396638
Ik vind Belief een van de betere van het album. Stop this train of Slow burning kunnen ook singles worden, maar die vind ik te mooi .
pi_43396739
Ik ga pas een mening over een single krijgen als ie daadwerkelijk hier uitkomt en frequent gedraaid wordt
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')