4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

'Fast Cars' is in sommige landen een bonustrack.
Recensie van NME in het vorige topic door eskimos_zijn_cool:
quote:
1e recensie van NME. En als je bedenkt dat ze altijd negatief schrijven over U2 dan is het een hele goeie cd geworden:

'It's one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year, is set to be one of the biggest-selling and NME has heard it first: it's U2's new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. There are only two copies in the country but we got our hands on one of them.

The album, the band's 11th studio collection, is the follow-up to 2000's 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and is an all-guns-blazing-guitar album produced by Steve Lillywhite (sp?). Because of a security lapse in the summer when a CD containing the record was lost or stolen from a photo session in France, security around the album is tight. However, NME managed to pull some strings to get a sneak preiew of an unmastered copy.

Out on November 22, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is direct, loud and often heavier than their previous album, with a couple of songs big enough to shake stadiums. The first taste will come in the form of a single, 'Vertigo', released on November 8, but until then here's NME's exclusive track-by-track guide to the record.

'Vertigo' (3:07)
The first single, and as you'd expect, it's a corker. 'Vertigo' features a riff from The Edge as big as 'Beautiful Day', perfectly complementing Bono's cries of "Feeeel!" throughout the chorus. "Hello, hello, we're in a place called vertigo", he sings. It's an anthem, probable Number One single and an electrifying opening to the album.

'Miracle Drug' (3:54)
After the punky 'Vertigo', 'Miracle Drug' is much slower but still heavy. "Want to trip inside your head/Spend the day there", Bono croons. It's a love song with tribal drums and a massive guitar-led chorus. Could be a single.

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' (5:02)
After two all-out rock numbers, 'Sometimes....' is the first ballad. Backed by simple chiming guitar and drums reminiscent of 'Where The Streets Have No Name', Bono sings "You don't have to put up a fight/You don't always have to be right....let me take some of the punches for you tonight". The feel is a lot like REM's 'Everybody Hurts'.

'Love and Peace or Else' (4:47)
An industrial growl and host of Nine Inch Nails-style noises hide Bono's whispering intro, before the song evolves into a clapalong, glammy chorus "Give me love and peace", Bono sings. It's the first hint of his political side, with references in to "troops on the ground". A thumping bassline makes it all sound a bit like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

'City of Blinding Lights' (5:44)
The second Big Stadium moment. Pretty piano opens the song, which sounds like an updated 'With or Without You', Bono's in reflective mood, singing, "The more you see, the less you know".

'All Because of You' (3:37)
'Achtung Baby'-era guitars back one of Bono's most confessional songs ever. "I'm not broke but you can see the cracks", he sings. The lyrics suggest that he may walk the corridors of the UN, meet with Presidents and be able to call the Pope on his mobile, but sometimes he'd just like to be simple old Paul Hewson.

'A Man and a Woman' (4:25)
If the first half of the record is direct, simple rock, from here on in it gets more chilled. 'A Man and a Woman' is the last of the straight-ahead rock numbers dealing with similar themes of lost love.

'Crumbs From Your Table' (4:57)
Compared to 'Vertigo' and 'All Because of You', 'Crumbs...' is one of the more understated songs on the album. Could probably have been a B-side.

'One Step Closer' (3:50)
An ambient-sounding track their old producer Brian Eno would have been proud of is the stand-out song on the second half of 'How to Dismantle...'. Bono's dejected, or in his words has "crossed the road from hope", but is resigned to his fate. "A heart that hurts is a heart that beats", he sings. It'll be the lighters-in-the-air moment on next year's stadium tour.

'Original of the Species' (4:33)
In keeping with the calmer mood of the second half of the album, 'Original...' has subtle, cinematic strings backing a pretty piano. It builds into an epic ballad which is classic U2.

'Yahweh' (4:20)
The title is the transliteration of the Hebrew word for the name of God, so it's appropriate what the closing song is a plea for peace. "Take these hands, don't make a fist", Bono sings, "take this mouth, give it a kiss".

'Fast Cars' (bonus track)
Unlikely to appear on the UK version of the album, this track is currently slated for inclusion on the Japanese pressing only. That's a tragedy for UK U2 fans as it's by far the most exciting song here. With a distinct Middle Eastern influence in the music, it's also where the line 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' comes from. NME says: put this track on the UK album!

NME verdict:
For fans looks for that classic U2 sound, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is well worth the wait. Some strong tracks - particularly on the early part of the album - guarantee this will be a massive-selling record and will set them up for some monster live shows next year.'
Tour 2005-geruchten

U2tours.com
quote:
Reports that U2 are planning to play Croke Park next summer have been confirmed by a band source who tells hotpress.com that "the shows are more or less a done deal."

Speculation that the European leg of the band's world tour would kick off in the 79,500-capacity GAA stadium intensified last week when Bono said, "Men are climbing these walls as we speak trying to figure out if they can put a stage in there. It's where we should be. To play there would be incredible. We're looking into it."

Reccy subsequently completed, the U2 bandwagon will trundle into the Dublin venue on June 26 and 27, with provision for a third consecutive show if demand dictates.

Croker already has a special place in U2 folklore with the two dates they played there in 1986 rated among the Joshua Tree Tour's finest.

In the meantime, there's been an enthusiastic response to 'Vertigo' with BBC Radio One B-Listing the single a month ahead of its November 5 release.
http://www.u2tours.com/faq/ :
quote:
1. When does the tour start? Will U2 be playing my city?

There's been no official announcement of tour dates yet. Paul McGuinness told BBC radio in May that the tour would begin in Miami in March, 2005. More recently, a Chicago newspaper reported hearing Bono say the tour would begin in Boston in March. Until something official is announced, everything is speculation.
  woensdag 29 september 2004 @ 14:39:09 #2
73438 Prep2Fight
Noem me alsjeblieft Tim!
pi_22285082
Roel_Jewel, wil je het andere topic effe sluiten
Tim's LastFM Charts
' I want a easy plateau, some place to rest my head '
pi_22285446
Goeie opening Roel maar hoe zit het nou met dat andere topic?
Paan!
pi_22286080
quote:
Op woensdag 29 september 2004 14:57 schreef Werner_Koekoeksklok het volgende:
Goeie opening Roel maar hoe zit het nou met dat andere topic?
Die gooien de MUZ-mods wel dicht . Ik durf niet te modden in MUZ .
pi_22286376
Oei, word je onderdrukt jongen?
Paan!
pi_22287619
pi_22290970
Slim bedacht, die topictitel. Nu kan je hem tenminste vinden met de zoekfunctie!
Heeft Fok! verlaten, jeweetoch.
pi_22298938
goh die review is wel een vette teaser hoor, ik ben erg benieuwd...
Get on your boots!
16-11-09 Muse - Lanxess Arena Keulen
Last.fm | Twitter
pi_22299148
Bono heeft vandaag een speech gegeven op de Labour conferentie...
quote:
On our last day at the orphanage a man handed me his baby and said: take him with you. He knew in Ireland his son would live; in Ethiopia his son would die.
I turned him down.

In that moment, I started this journey.
In that moment, I became the worst thing of all:
a rock star with a cause.
quote:
Do we have the will to make poverty history?
Some say we can't afford to.
I say we can't afford not to.
Volledige tekst staat op DATA: http://www.data.org/archives/000604.php
pi_22302732
Ik hoop nog steeds op concerten in de Kuip
Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm
pi_22308501
quote:On our last day at the orphanage a man handed me his baby and said: take him with you. He knew in Ireland his son would live; in Ethiopia his son would die.
I turned him down.

In that moment, I started this journey.
In that moment, I became the worst thing of all:
a rock star with a cause.

Ja die tijd daar in Afrika heeft wel veel indruk op de beste man gemaakt. Volgens mij heeft hij daardoor nog vele albums aan inspiratie in de pen zitten. Misschien zouden we er allemaal eens heen moeten gaan, maar ja, het is zo'n gedoe he jongens...
Paan!
pi_22308725
tvp

pi_22325003
Wat betekent "een B-side" nou eigenlijk? Een xtra nummer bij een single?
  vrijdag 1 oktober 2004 @ 08:19:55 #14
44600 Dandelion
ZEKUR OUWE!!!!!!
pi_22325064
quote:
Op vrijdag 1 oktober 2004 08:06 schreef m021 het volgende:
Wat betekent "een B-side" nou eigenlijk? Een xtra nummer bij een single?
Vroeger (sprak opa) toen je nog singeltjes had, hadden die 2 kanten. De A-kant met de singel en de B--kant met een extra nummer. Een cd-tje hoef je niet om te draaien, maar heeft wel diezelfde b-kant.

Denk ik
Get on your boots!
16-11-09 Muse - Lanxess Arena Keulen
Last.fm | Twitter
pi_22326048
Volgende week is Vertigo 3FM-Megahit
pi_22329938
Haha, ik snap wel dat er singeltjes zijn met A en B kanten. LP's zijn nog niet afgeschaft hoor.
Maar met "B-sides" wordt dus iets anders bedoeld.
pi_22333265
uit Q-magazine:

A few article highlights:

Las Christmas the band scrapped a year's work and replace original producer Chris Thomas with Steve Lillywhite.

Most U2-sounding album since The Joshua Tree.

Bono says he is the Atomic Bomb of the title!! Bono: "A bomb went off when my old man died and I had no idea how to deal with it."

'Vertigo'
U2 as garage band. Over power chords, Bono sings about boys who play rock and roll.
Adam Clayton: "It was originally called Native Son and had a very different feel. Bono and Edge rewrote it when we started work with Steve Lillywhite. The bass and drums have a little bit of Echo & the Bunnymen in there - a nice wink to where we came from."

'Miracle Drug'
The sort of wide-eyed anthem that should by now carry a U2 patent.
Bono: "It started off being about the Irish writer Christopher Nolan, who was at our school (Nolan, who was born with cerebral palsy, won the 1988 Whitbread Prize for his autobiographical novel 'Under The Eyes of the Clock'). But in a more oblique way it's probably as much about Aids and the drugs developed to arrest it. I couldn't write specifically about that without feeling an idiot."

'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own'
Bono on his father's death. As stately and emotive as One.
Bono: "There's a line, 'You're the reason I have the operas in me.' My old man was a beautiful tenor. He was this working-class guy who loved opera. He used to sit conducting the stereo with knitting needles."

Love and Peace or Else
As close as U2 have come to being Led Zeppelin
The Edge: "I'm delighted about this one. It's been around since the last record. All we had was an amazing keyboard part of Brian (Eno)'s and a rhythm section Larry and Daniel (Lanois) had worked up. I fought for hours trying to figure out what to do with this fantastic raw track. We cracked it this time."

City of Blinding Lights
Back to the wide-open terrain of The Unforgettable Fire, via a vintage Edge motif.
Bono: "It's a New York song. About going there for the first time. We were the first band to play Madison Square Gardens after 9/11. During Where the Streets Have No Name the house lights came up and there were 20,000 people in tears. It was beautiful."

All Because of You
Three minutes of gleeful stomping and a likely single. Sample lyric: "I like the sound of my own voice."
Adam Clayton: "Often when we have something which is straight rock it never goes anywhere - we just keep churning it around. But this was one or two takes."

A Man and a Woman
Motown by way of The Rolling Stones' 'Waiting on a Friend'
Bono: "The sound of sitting on a stoop in New York in the summer. I wanted a song that rolled up The Clash and Marvin Gaye into one."

Crumbs from Your Table
The Edge breaks out I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For's ringing guitar. Bono rails at the Aids crisis.
Bono: "I went to speak to Christian fundamentalist groups in America to convince them to give money to fight Aids in Africa. It was like getting blood from a stone. I told them about a hospice In Uganda where so many people were dying they had to sleep three to a bed. Sister Anne, who I mention in the song, works at that hospice. Her office is a sewer."

One Step Closer
Bono ponders the meaning of death over a hushed backdrop
Bono: "Noel Gallacher gave me that line. We were in Birmingham on the last UK tour. I was telling Noel that my old man had lost his faith and didn't know where he was going. And Noel just said (adopts passable Mancunian drawl), Well, he's one step closer to knowing, isn't he?"

Original of the Species
A strident torch song. Contains the lines, "Some things you shouldn't get too good at/Like smiling, crying and celebrity."
The Edge: "The last time I cried was listening to that song. It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughter Holly. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself. He probably won't agree, but I think it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20."

Yahweh
Quintessentially U2 - from soaring chorus to a title that co-opts the Hebrew word for God.
Bono: "I had the idea that no one can own Jerusalem, but everybody wants to put flags on it. The title's an ancient name that's not meant to be spoken. I got around it by singing it. I hope I don't offend anyone."

Fast Cars
Bizarrely, U2 come on like the house band in a Morrocan bazaar.
Bono: "We did this on the very last day in the studio. It was really just for fun, but it came out so well it'll be an extra track on the record in some countries."
alleen als ie ijs en ijskoud is!
pi_22333689
Thanx eskimo, great stuff om over na te denken deze superquotes uit Q. Laat dat album maar snel komen.

Trouwens, Bono die over de dochter van Edge schrijft, does that ring a bell anyone? Hey Jude natuurlijk; dat schreef Paul over Johns zoon Julian!
Paan!
pi_22335220
Bono:
quote:
Girls tend to be the best DJs and, let's be honest, The Edge is a girl with a moustache"

De rest van het artikel in Q staat volgens mij al in z'n geheel op interference:

http://forum.interference(...)page=15&pagenumber=1
pi_22349658
Edge een meisje met snor, grappig. Het ons aller bekende boekwerk van wijlen Pimm-Jal de la Parra inspireerde mij om een eveneens Engelstalige concertdocumentaire over Madness (topic '25 Jaar Madness en 2-Tone') te schrijven, alleen zal het niet officieel worden uitgebracht. Weet iemand of de update van U2 Live; The Concert-documentary nog verschijnt en wanneer ?
pi_22349877
Die is er al hoor, sinds eind 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/exe(...)946?v=glance&s=books
pi_22350079
Ik zal nog eens kijken of ie ook offline te verkrijgen is.
pi_22369371
grrrrrrr, ik wil niet wachten tot 22 november, ik wil het nieuwe album nu al hebben!
pi_22375386
Ik heb nog geen album van ze, maar deze wil ik wel even luisteren.
pi_22393799
Net 'U2 Live 2003' 'offline' gekocht.
abonnement Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')