abonnement bol.com Unibet Coolblue
pi_99783163
De tering, dat einde, wat classic _O_.

Het is een lange weg sinds...

_O-
pi_99788818
quote:
10s.gif Op vrijdag 22 juli 2011 04:29 schreef Arn0 het volgende:

Alex die Ringo complimenteert. Mijn dag kan niet meer stuk.
Comment onder dat filmpje :D

quote:
hey did you see that! there's 2 other members of the band there! anyway.. I'm tired of these questions. how 'bout we start asking fresh ones... like "hey turner, do you reckon it's alright to come out looking like that, when we all know we can't fuck you?"
pi_99849694
Eric Corton deed het goed zoals altijd, maar (voor ons) weinig nieuws in het korte interview wat hij had met Jamie en Matt vooraf aan het optreden in Paradiso. Ze hebben goede herinneringen aan de zaal, eerste optreden buiten Engeland, een show op de 20ste verjaardag van Matt, ze konden zich beide optredens goed herinneren. Het legendarische Lowlands-optreden in 2006 wordt ook even aangehaald, maar daar ging niet echt een belletje rinkelen. Heb verder niet alles gehoord, maar ik geloof dat het de al eerder uitgezonden live-nummers waren.

Maar ehm, die overloop in de oorspronkelijke uitzending van "Brianstorm" in "When The Sun Goes Down" is nu wel te fixen :D.
pi_99856066

Met het licht op de gebeurtenis van vandaag mag deze wel weer eens! ;)
pi_99856211
Het leek dat ze redelijk goed bevriend waren in hun beide hoogtijdagen, vlak voordat ze helemaal van de rails gleed. Benieuwd hoe ze dat hadden opgepakt als ze vanavond ergens moesten optreden.

pi_99856491
Coole foto! Was dit van de LCCC? Daar trad zij toch ook op?
pi_99865917
Coachella 2007 is deze, maar zullen nog talloze andere zijn, Camden/London-scene circa '07... En ze was inderdaad uitgekozen voor dat door Arctic Monkeys georganiseerde evenement.
pi_99883109
Luisterend naar het beklijvende gedeelte van "Humbug", hoop ik toch echt wel dat "Potion Approaching" en "Dangerous Animals" deze herfst (of óóit) weer terugkomen in de set. Zou perfect passen in het gedeelte met "All My Own Stunts". (Eerste is natuurlijk al paar keer gespeeld eerder dit jaar). Apart genoeg zijn het vooral die 3 genoemde nummers die de Arctic Monkeys-fans doen verdelen, lijkt het.

Welke "Humbug"-nummers zouden het nog meer goed doen in de huidige set? Weet niet of ik "Secret Door" nog wel zo'n succes vond, na het surrealistische confetti-spektakel. Blijft verder weinig over, denk ik, en we zijn al terug naar niet meer dan 2 nummers op dit moment...
  zondag 24 juli 2011 @ 17:15:13 #284
123869 Merkie
Surprisingly contagious
pi_99883356
Ik zou DLL wel weer als opener willen zien. Vond ik echt supertof in HMH '09, die rook met die witte lichten, erg cool.
2000 light years from home
pi_99883668
Dat was wel een van hun live-hoogtepunten inderdaad :Y . Maar zou nooit werken in de huidige geest en live-sfeer.

En ik snap ook niet zo goed dat mensen klagen over dat ze veel nummers droppen om werk van het nieuwe album te spelen. Wees blij dat ze de nieuwe nummers spelen, en het 'vorige' werk even laten voor wat het is. Genoeg bands die het precies andersom doen. Vreugde is alleen maar groter als ze ooit weer eens openen met "Dance Little Liar", in plaats van dat het een gewoonte is geworden. Net zoals dat nu met "Teddy Picker" is, terwijl we die ook genoeg hebben gehoord in 2007.
pi_99883976
"Fire And The Thud" was live ook echt knallen, afgaande op de opnames. Die zou ik ook wel 'es willen zien. Toch vervelend dat ik dat nummer op cd door zijn productie één van hun minsten vind. Ik vind de rest van Humbug wel prachtig geproduced.

Het liefst zie ik ook "My Propeller" en "The Jeweller's Hands" in de set, maar dat zal bij de laatstgenoemde helaas waarschijnlijk nooit meer gebeuren. Doodzonde, ik heb hem nooit live meegemaakt ;(.

[ Bericht 37% gewijzigd door hallo-daar op 24-07-2011 17:36:28 ]
pi_99887810
My Propeller zou ook niet echt passen vind ik, al is het een topnummer
"If you're not happy wearing denim, you're a devil in disguise"
pi_99889896
Ik vind My Propellor een van de mindere nummers eerlijk gezegd :P

Inderdaad graag Potion of Animals. Snap sowieso niet dat die er niet in zitten.

Secret Door was inderdaad mooi met het confettikanon, maar hoeft niet terug. Mag wel.
pi_99892679
quote:
"And those lyrics — where, who, is Turner in them? The acute social observer of the early days, or the occupant of the new album’s vividly expressed hopes, doubts, fears and deflations? “I’ve written about actual situations in detail,” the singer parries, “and gone too far, to the point where I’ll play them now and think, ‘F***ing hell, I don’t really want to be still thinking about that now.’ Then again, on Humbug, it went the other way, so you end up with none of you in it, just a bunch of words you like; and I’ll listen back and think, ‘I don’t know about that, it’s a bit dodgy.’"
Had niet gedacht dat dit moment al zo snel zou komen.
  zondag 24 juli 2011 @ 20:49:06 #290
53267 TC03
Catch you on the flipside
pi_99892898
quote:
0s.gif Op zondag 24 juli 2011 20:45 schreef Aisumasen het volgende:

[..]

Had niet gedacht dat dit moment al zo snel zou komen.
Waar haal je dat vandaan?
Ten percent faster with a sturdier frame
pi_99893867
The Sunday Times, 24 juli 2011, voorpagina cultuur-bijlage.

quote:
Caught in the eye of the storm

by Dan Cairns

Stardom knocked Sheffield foursome Arctic Monkeys sideways and the burden of fame made them stagger. Has album four, Suck it and See, brought back their swagger?

Narrow though the shoulders on Alex Turner’s still boyish frame are, they have had to carry the weight — of expectations, criticism, speculation and, when stardom first hit, his own chips — for five years now. The last time I interviewed the Arctic Monkeys front man, in 2008, he and his best friend Miles Kane were preparing to release The Age of the Understatement, an album of Scott Walker-inspired 1960s musical melodramatics under the name the Last Shadow Puppets. Turner had seemed almost crushed by the burden: monosyllabic, surly, only very rarely allowing a smile to form on his pouting lips, or a pithy Steel City one-liner to emerge from them.

At that point, he was several months away from the first sessions for what would turn out to be the Arctics’ third album. To many fans, Humbug remains a baffling record, not only because of the songs and sounds — recorded with Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme in the Californian desert — it contained, but because of what they felt it signified. Opaque, heavy, comparatively inaccessible, the album was seen by some as the moment “their” band — the four Sheffield lads who had released the fastest-selling debut album by a group in British chart history, the childhood friends whose early songs such as I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, Still Take You Home and Dancing Shoes documented a sort of generic Saturday night of chaotic drinking, prowling, snogging and shagging that their teenage fan base could readily identify with — abandoned them.

Commercially, Humbug meant diminishing album-sale returns for the band, after the heady peaks of 2006’s Mercury-winning Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not and its follow-up, Favourite Worst Nightmare.

Musically, however, it was an essential step. Perhaps not in terms of the album itself, but certainly in allowing them to make their new one, Suck It and See. As Turner himself puts it: “Humbug opened so many doors for us. It turned a light on in another room.”

We are talking in a sunlit garden that serves as the backstage area to the Roman amphitheatre in the French city of Lyons, where the band are due to perform later that day. In jeans, a nondescript grey T-shirt and vintage shades, swigging from a bottle of beer and cadging ciggies as unashamedly as ever, the 25-year-old comes across as someone who is revelling in the room for manoeuvre that he and his band mates have carved out for themselves. It is worth remembering that they have been together for nine years now, which probably helps explain how they were able to ride the early storms of success and scrutiny. Turner admits that he struggles with the absurdity of being forced constantly to confront a past that is, in terms of years, so recent. One review of the Suck It and See tour referred to the band emerging in 2006 “swaggering with confidence”.

The singer laughs when reminded of the remark. “There were certain times, especially in the early days, where I acted very strangely,” he concedes, “but any swagger that was there, that’s definitely not me. It’s tempting, in that sort of situation, to act like that; whenever we went to an awards thing and everyone is there, it’s a mechanism you use to survive it. It seems funny now, to think of myself being like that. But it isn’t me.”

An infamous example of this was the band’s appearance at the 2008 Brit awards dressed as hunting, shooting and fishing types, slurring onstage insults at the Brit School before being yanked off air. Yet, as Turner points out, the situation the group had found themselves in was not one many human beings are equipped to deal with.

“It’s that eye-of-the-storm thing,” he says, “and we were right in the middle of it. Luckily, we’ve always had each other throughout the nonsense. Even now, though, there’s kind of this endless thing of having to look back. And it’s not like it’s a long time. Maybe, as a result of that, it helps you get to a point where you are — I wouldn’t say comfortable, because that makes it sound really boring — but it’s like you sort of understand what that is, and why it is the case.” He hasn’t learnt to like it, he says, but he can at least accept it.

There were certain times, especially in the early days, where I acted very strangely. It seems funny now, to think of myself being like that

The band’s drummer, Matt Helders, believes that the notion of having a duty to your fans is as dangerous as it is noble. “Most bands do feel they have to give something back,” he says. “Early on we were pretty close to our fans. You’d know the front row at our first gigs, you’d hang around with them afterwards, and we still see them at our shows.” But that shouldn’t, he argues, be allowed to hamper or circumscribe an act’s development. “People say, ‘Do you feel under pressure with your next record?’, and obviously you do to a certain extent. It’s the same with gigs. Fans will go, ‘Why didn’t you play Mardy Bum?’ But you can’t let any of that dictate what you do.” And the swagger? “Those were songs,” he adds, fairly, “that were written long before you’re in that situation.” And whose lyrics were then refracted through the lens of fame and adulation? “Exactly.”

Helders takes the vocals on Brick by Brick, the Suck It and See track that was released online in advance of the album, and which was met with incomprehension by some fans. What, bloggers anguished, did this all mean? Was a song that consisted chiefly of the drummer bawling phrases such as “I wanna rock’n’roll” over a Stooges / Queens of the Stone Age-like sonic onslaught indicative of a new direction? A retread? It is this degree of scrutiny, of labouring under the illusion that Turner, Helders, the guitarist Jamie Cook and the bassist Nick O’Malley are sending out smoke signals — designed either to mislead or to intrigue — with everything they do, that surely lay behind the band’s decision to flee to the desert, and into the arms of Homme. For the alternative was — what? Endless rehashes of the first and second albums? “I don’t know what the hell that would sound like,” Turner laughs. “There was just this urge to do something else, and I’m kind of glad we did, because otherwise I might still be sitting here now — well, actually, not here [he looks across at the packed tiers of the amphitheatre] — trying to figure it out.”

Suck It and See could be seen as the logical next step on the journey that began with those first two albums, and took such an unexpected turn on Humbug. But “logical” is too arid a word to apply to a record teeming with such emotion, both musically and lyrically, and such freedom. Written for the most part last summer in New York, where Turner was then living with his girlfriend, the television presenter and model Alexa Chung, the lyrics both return to and develop some of his most characteristic themes: the icy derision of Fake Tales of San Francisco and Brianstorm; the bashful romantic and sexual longing of 505; the femmes fatales that stalk The Age of the Understatement. New songs such as the title track (“Your kiss it could put creases in the rain”); the jealousy-tormented new single, The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala, on which Turner spits: “Did you ever get the feeling that these are things she’s done before? / Her steady hands may well have done the devil’s pedicure”; the vicious Black Treacle, where he lashes out at a cokehead: “Does it tune you in when you chew your chin?” — these are tracks that mark a further move away from the machine-gunning prolixity of old towards a rolled-round-the-tongue relish that is thrillingly audible in his vocals. Matching Turner’s development as a smoky-voiced crooner of real emotional heft is the textural inventiveness, beauty and complexity of the music going on around him. So, yes, Brick by Brick was a curve ball. Only not, Turner insists, a deliberate one.

“It’s just a good-time thing,” he pleads, with a chuckle, “a reaction, almost, to ourselves, and the rest of the songs being so full of all them lyrics.”

And those lyrics — where, who, is Turner in them? The acute social observer of the early days, or the occupant of the new album’s vividly expressed hopes, doubts, fears and deflations? “I’ve written about actual situations in detail,” the singer parries, “and gone too far, to the point where I’ll play them now and think, ‘F***ing hell, I don’t really want to be still thinking about that now.’ Then again, on Humbug, it went the other way, so you end up with none of you in it, just a bunch of words you like; and I’ll listen back and think, ‘I don’t know about that, it’s a bit dodgy.’ I think of it sometimes in terms of there being these two types of song, and with one it’s as if whoever is listening to it is leaning over my shoulder and I’m guiding them round this environment, this landscape. Then there are other songs where it feels like the listener is in front, and I’m peering over their shoulder, perhaps hinting at where to go, giving little pointers like, ‘Well, there’s this bit over there,’ or ‘Up there’s that, but you decide.’ ” And if they get it wrong? Turner takes another swig of beer, looks across the lawn towards the crowd that is now calling out his name, and shrugs — as if to say, “There’s not much I can do about that.” In any case, he says, he’s realised that control is overrated. “I go into the studio and think, ‘Right, I’m going to know exactly what’s going on at all times.’ Whereas, in actual fact, it’s probably better that you are losing that grip and going down these other roads.” And with that he is off. Shoulders back, unburdened. Does that freedom suit Arctic Monkeys? You decide.   
  zondag 24 juli 2011 @ 21:19:21 #292
123869 Merkie
Surprisingly contagious
pi_99894592
Interessant interview :).
  zondag 24 juli 2011 @ 21:21:34 #293
159761 Arn0
Abbey Road
pi_99894720
Tof ja, vind dit soort artikels altijd leuker dan gewoon het klassieke "vraag & antwoord".
By hook or by crook, I'll be last in this book.
pi_99900300
quote:
10s.gif Op zondag 24 juli 2011 21:21 schreef Arn0 het volgende:
Tof ja, vind dit soort artikels altijd leuker dan gewoon het klassieke "vraag & antwoord".
Eerlijk gezegd ook nog de enige soort interviews waar ik meer dan alleen even snel overheen scan.
pi_99902844
Iemand anders die een flashback krijgt bij het zien van de beelden voor de Melkweg deze avond?

http://schlijper.nl/110724-50-melkweg.photo
  maandag 25 juli 2011 @ 01:58:39 #296
123869 Merkie
Surprisingly contagious
pi_99907374
Neen, toen was ik nog geen fan ;( .
  maandag 25 juli 2011 @ 03:24:30 #297
53267 TC03
pi_99908758
quote:
0s.gif Op zondag 24 juli 2011 21:06 schreef Aisumasen het volgende:
The Sunday Times, 24 juli 2011, voorpagina cultuur-bijlage.

[..]

Dank, leuk artikel.

Toch grappig dat Alex het altijd met mij eens is, ook al doet hij er anderhalf jaar langer over om tot dezelfde mening te komen. (8>
pi_99924321
Wat vinden de eckten ervan?

maandag 25 juli 2011 @ 15:56:58 #299
53267 TC03
pi_99924446
quote:
11s.gif Op maandag 25 juli 2011 15:53 schreef Gitaarmat het volgende:
Wat vinden de eckten ervan?

Leuk, alleen het tempo mag wel iets omlaag. :s)
pi_99924564
Vooral bij het eerste nummer denk ik? Thanks iig, alleen zodra ik iets opneem voel je je toch gauw wat gehaaster ofzo. :')
abonnement bol.com Unibet Coolblue
Forum Opties
Forumhop:
Hop naar:
(afkorting, bv 'KLB')